Asthma is a disease caused by an inflammation of the air passages in the lungs that affects and irritates the sensitive nerve endings in the airways. During an attack, the lining of air passages starts swelling, causing the airway to become narrow which directly affects the flow of air in and out of the lungs. It normally attacks people of all age range, but often starts in childhood. It is characterized by frequent attacks of breathlessness and wheezing.
Asthmatic people need constant monitoring, attention and care. Hence today, we are going to share with you the causes behind this disease followed by several asthma treatments that are available in the current decade.
What Causes Asthma?
It is often associated with two factors, which are genetic and environmental factors. Genetic factor is when a family member, mainly parents have a history of asthma, thus creating possibilities for the children to inherit it due to the sharing of the same genes. Whereas environmental factor is anything caused by external factors such air pollution, allergens, animal furs or home dusts or other environmental chemicals.
Also check : Bronchitis Symptoms, Its Causes And Home Remedies
Asthma Treatments – Medications and Home Remedies
There are several ways to treat it, existing in both therapeutic and medication forms. Following are few common asthma treatments:
Available Asthma Medications
When considering a medical treatment, it’s crucial that you learn the type that will be prescribed to you. Generally, there are two types of medications used in medical treatment ; the fast-relieving and the long-term control.
The fast-relieving medication is typically used to treat acute or intense symptoms in immediate situations. Meanwhile the long-term control medicine is used to prevent the exacerbation of asthma, and is used consistently over time. If you are an asthma patient yourself, get an asthma medication guide to ensure you take right medications at the right time. Following are few of the medications (please do not take any medicine without the recommendation of a doctor).
- B2-adrenergic agonists ( a class of drug, also known as SABA) like Salbutamol (INN) or Albuterol (USAN). They are recommended to be used before exercise for those with exercise induced symptoms.
- Ipratropium bromide ( an anticholinergic drug).
- The inhaled epinephrine. This is said to have the similar adequacy with SABAs but however not recommended due to some effects regarding cardiac stimulation.
- Corticosteroids, the highly used effective treatment for a long-term control. The inhaled formulations such as beclomethasone is encouraged to be used once or twice daily, depending on the severity of the symptoms.
- Long-acting beta-adrenoceptor agonists (LABA) such as salmeterol and formoterol helps to control and improve asthma condition too. But however, the benefits are inconsistent when used in children.
Alternative medications are helpful when you have asthma and other chronic disorders at the same time. And don’t worry, they are perfectly safe be taken along with your asthma medications. Here are some of the most common types:
- Vitamin C’s. It is said to help relieve exercise-induced asthma.
- Acupuncture, is a great alternative for those who dislike the idea of getting man-made chemicals into their body system.
- Homeopathy, just like the Simillimum, are homeopathic treatments that heal asthma effectively over time.
Also check : 5 Useful Natural Home Remedies For Pneumonia
Natural Home Remedies For Asthma
This is the best alternative to all the other asthma treatments; especially for those of you who dislike chemicals and medications and would like to go all natural and traditional in the process of curing asthma. There are many ancient, safe and natural remedies available world wide to treat asthma. Read on for some of the most common and effective traditional asthma remedies.
For acute attacks, you can use the lobelia. Mix three parts tincture of lobelia with one part tincture of capsicum. Take twenty drops of the mixture with a glass of water at the beginning of an attack. Repeat every thirty minutes, with a total of three to four doses.
Also check : Cervical Cancer Symptoms, Causes and Treatments
2. The ancient Indonesian asthma treatment :
– 3 stalks of celery
– 3 cottonwood leaves
– Salt and sugar for taste
* Wash the celery and cottonwood leaves, and mash them up in a bowl. Later, add half a glass of boiled water followed by some salt and sugar for taste. Mix the ingredients together and strain. You can recurrently drink this every morning before breakfast for a long-term control.
Also check : 10 Simple Home Remedies For Diabetes
3. This is an ancient Indian asthma treatment.
It is also said that this drink helps to get rid of the disease completely as well as balance the immune of the body.
– Few cloves of garlic
– A glass of plain water
*Finely chop two to three cloves of garlic and boil them with a glass of water. Boil until the water reduces to half. Strain the water to a glass and add some honey for taste. Take this at least twice a day, and the results can be very surprising.*
Also check : 10 Effective Home Remedies For Heartburn
It is also equally as important for you to learn about asthma prevention. Avoid staying outdoor too long, especially when it is hazy and always carry a mask along with you wherever you go. Drinking plenty of water along with a balanced diet will also keep asthma at bay.
If there are any other treatments or natural remedies for asthma that you know, do share them with us.