How to Get Rid of Keratosis Pilaris? – Keratosis pilaris (chicken skin) is a common skin disorder in which small bumps and rough patches of skin are found on cheeks, arms, legs, thighs and buttocks. Although it is rarely painful, Keratosis Pilarisis similar to acne and the bumps on the skin can become dry, inflamed, red or chapped, which is also known as keratosis pilaris rubra faceii. This condition can occur at any age, but it is the most common in young children and adolescents.
The exact cause of Keratosis Pilaris is yet to be known, but skin dryness seems to be one of the major contributing factors. Due to this reason, the condition tends to exacerbate during winter. Hormonal changes may play a role as well, as the condition is more common during adolescence and pregnancy. Those who are overweight are also more likely to be affected by Keratosis pilaris. Fortunately, it is not contagious and in most cases, it disappears on its own, usually by the time a patient reach the age of 30.
There is no complete cure for Keratosis Pilaris but there are many effective home remedies that can help in treating its symptoms and keep it under control. Here is a look at some of the best natural remedies for Keratosis Pilaris treatment.
How to Get Rid of Keratosis Pilaris? – Natural Remedies for Chicken Skin
1. Coconut oil to Get Rid of Keratosis Pilaris – Whether it is used externally or internally, coconut oil is rich in a number of essential nutrients that are beneficial to health. It is famous for its wondrous effects on skin. Coconut oil has strong antibacterial and anti-inflammatory properties that ease and cure different skin infections and conditions. Its fatty acids are easily absorbed, thus keeps the skin moisturized and soft. It is no surprise that coconut oil is one of the most effective natural treatments for Keratosis Pilaris.
How to Use:
- This is a really simple remedy! All you need to do is apply extra virgin coconut oil regularly on the affected areas.
- Massage gently and thoroughly until your skin absorbs the oil and all its goodness.
- Use regularly and you will notice visible results within 1 or 2 weeks.
- Take 1 part of brown sugar and 1 part of granulated white sugar.
- Mix with 2 parts of extra virgin coconut oil.
- For extra moisturisation, you can add a teaspoon of vanilla extract or honey.
- Apply this scrub on the affected areas and rub gently for a few minutes.
- Wash it off with cold or lukewarm water and gently pat dry.
- Use regularly for excellent results.
- Take equal amounts of coconut oil and apple cider vinegar.
- Mix well in a jar.
- Add honey or any other emulsifier.
- Apply the mixture on the affected area and leave on for 5 to 10 minutes.
- Rinse off and pat dry.
- Use regularly.
Also read : 9 Home Remedies For Psoriasis
2. Yogurt to Get Rid of Chicken Skin – Yogurt contains lactic acid, which helps in reducing skin dryness. It also helps in getting rid of excess keratin deposited on the skin as a result of Keratosis Pilaris. This remedy works wonders in treating this skin condition.
How to Use:
- Take 3 to 4 tablespoons of yogurt and apply it on the affected areas.
- Leave it on for 15 minutes.
- Take a bath with cold or lukewarm water to rinse it off.
- Gently pat dry with a soft towel.
- Repeat this regularly to obtain great results.
Must read : Home Remedies for Cystic Pimples Treatment
3. Apple Cider Vinegar to Get Rid of Keratosis Pilaris – Thanks to its powerful anti-inflammatory properties, apple cider vinegar is highly effective in treating and preventing different types of skin conditions and infections. From acne to psoriasis, it is known to work wonders on the skin. You can be sure that apple cider vinegar will effectively treat Keratosis Pilaris.
How to Use:
- All you need to do is take some organic, raw apple cider vinegar in a small bowl.
- Dip a cotton ball in the vinegar and apply it to the affected areas.
- Add 1 or 2 tablespoons of apple cider vinegar into your bath tub.
- Soak in this bath water.
- Repeat this regularly until you notice that the symptoms are alleviated.
- Mix apple cider vinegar with ½ cup of coconut oil or grapeseed oil and ½ cup of sugar.
- Gently scrub on the affected area for about 5 minutes.
- Rinse off with a mild soap and cold or lukewarm water. Pat dry.
- Use this regularly to see visible results.
Also read : How to Get Rid of Moles On Skin?
4. Oatmeal Bath to Get Rid of Chicken Skin – Oatmeal is a natural moisturizer and works wonders in treating dry skin. As mentioned, one of the contributing factors of Keratosis Pilaris is dry skin. Oatmeal baths help keep skin moisturized and treat and prevent this skin condition.
How to Use:
- Take a handful of powdered oats and add into a bathtub filled with lukewarm water.
- Relax and soak in the water for 15 minutes.
- Repeat this 3 times a week for best results.
Must read : 12 Home Remedies To Get Rid Of Whiteheads
5. Milk Baths to Get Rid of Keratosis Pilaris – As you know, milk contains many essential nutrients that are beneficial for health. When used externally, it can also help in treating a number of skin disorders. It contains lactic acid that helps softening the skin, as well as getting rid of excess keratin deposits and minimizing bumps on the skin.
How to Use:
- Add a few cups of whole milk to lukewarm water.
- Bathe in the water for 15 minutes.
- Repeat this 3 times a week to get excellent results.
- Alternatively, you can apply milk to the areas affected by Keratosis Pilaris 10 to 15 minutes before you take a bath.
Also read : How To Get Rid of Cradle Cap?
Apart from these home remedies, make sure to drink plenty of water to keep your skin hydrated and moisturized at all times. What’s more crucial is that you avoid allergens and pollutants, as well as foods with trans fats. Making these small lifestyle changes along with the usage of the home remedies mentioned above will certainly alleviate the symptoms of Keratosis Pilaris. Although there may not be a complete cure for Keratosis Pilaris / chicken skin, practicing safe and natural remedies will keep the condition under control.