How to Get Rid of Dry Scalp? : Do you have dry, unmanageable hair? The actual culprit that is causing this problem may be a dry scalp. This can be a major threat to your hair if you do not treat it quickly as it can lead to itchy scalp, dandruff and many other problems with time. You will find a wide range of products in stores, all claiming to have magical properties that will nourish your hair and scalp and prevent dryness. However, it is always the best to use natural remedies as they are safer, healthier and much easier to use.
Home Remedies to Get Rid of Dry Scalp
Here are some of the best home remedies to help you treat dry scalp and get beautiful, healthy hair.
1. Tea Tree Oil – This oil contains antifungal properties which kill the bacteria associated with the overproduction of skin cells. When skin cells are over-produced, white flakes develop on your scalp. Tea tree oil will soothe your scalp and relieve itching.
How to Use Tea Tree Oil to Get Rid of Dry Scalp:
- Mix 6 drops of tea tree oil in your shampoo or conditioner.
- Wash your hair with the mixture.
- Repeat on a regular basis.
- For best results, use tea tree oil-based shampoo.
- Mix 5 to 10 drops of tea tree oil with water.
- Use the water to wash and rinse your hair.
- Use regularly.
Must read : Home Remedies for Lice
2. Apple Cider Vinegar – This is an effective home remedy for a number of health and skin conditions including dry scalp. Apple cider vinegar has the ability to disinfect the scalp. It kills the fungus that is particularly linked with the dryness of scalp. It also helps reduce inflammation.
How to Use Apple Cider Vinegar to Get Rid of Dry Scalp:
- Mix half a cup of apple cider vinegar with half a cup of water.
- Massage your hair and scalp with the mixture.
- Leave on for 10 minutes.
- Shampoo and then rinse off (use a tea tree oil-based shampoo for best results).
- Rinse your hair with water.
- Dip a cotton ball in apple cider vinegar.
- Gently apply on your scalp, concentrating on areas that are more severely affected.
- Leave it on for 10 to 15 minutes.
- Rinse off again with water.
- Use this method twice a week.
- Boil a handful of rosemary in 3 cups of water in a saucepan.
- Stir well and then cover and let it simmer for 45 minutes.
- Strain after removing from heat.
- Allow the solution to cool and then add half a cup of apple cider vinegar and 10 drops of each peppermint and rosemary essential oils.
- Mix all ingredients well and pour into a spray bottle.
- Spray the solution after washing your hair.
- You can rinse after 10 to 15 minutes or leave on.
Also read : How Does Onion Help In Hair Growth?
3. Lemon Juice – Lemon juice is another excellent natural remedy for many skin and hair conditions. It has both motorizing and antiseptic properties. This makes it highly effective in treating dry scalp. Lemon juice also helps in removing excessive dead skin cells.
How to Use Lemon to Get Rid of Dry Scalp?:
- Squeeze the juice out of a fresh lemon.
- Add honey and mix well.
- Gently massage on your scalp for 5 to 10 minutes.
- Rinse off with a mild shampoo and water.
- Warm 1 cup of coconut oil and add 10 drops of lemon juice.
- Massage on your scalp and leave it on for at least 1 hour.
- Wrap your hair in a warm towel and leave it for 15 minutes.
- Wash and rinse your hair using a mild shampoo.
- You can also use lemon juice mixed with other essential oils.
Fuller’s Earth has natural moisturizing properties. When combined with coconut oil and lemon juice, it works effectively in treating dry scalp.
- Mix half a teaspoon of lemon juice and coconut oil and 1 cup of Fuller’s Earth.
- Apply the paste to your hair and scalp and leave it on for 1 hour.
- Rinse off with water and a mild shampoo.
- Use this method regularly for great results.
Must read : Yoga to Reduce Hair Fall
4. Mayonnaise – Mayonnaise is made of oil and eggs, which nourishes the hair deeply. It also contains vinegar that is helpful is disinfecting the scalp and killing bacteria or fungus that cause dryness and itching.
How to Use Mayonnaise to Get Rid of Dry Scalp?:
- Apply half a cup of mayonnaise on your hair.
- Make sure that you massage your scalp and the roots of your hair thoroughly.
- Use a shower cap to cover your hair and leave on for 15 to 20 minutes.
- Wash off with a mild shampoo and rinse well.
Also read : How To Get Rid Of Dandruff?
5. Avocado – Avocados are rich in vitamins, minerals and natural oils. These effectively aid in treating conditions linked with dryness, including dry scalp. It also makes hair moisturized, soft and shiny.
How to Use Avocado to Get Rid of Dry Scalp?:
- Mash 1 ripe avocado.
- Mix 1 teaspoon of honey and 2 tablespoons of extra virgin olive oil.
- Apply this to hair and scalp.
- Cover with a shower cap and leave the mixture on for at least 30 minutes.
- Wash your hair with warm water and a mild shampoo. Rinse well.
- Use regularly for effective results.
Must read : How To Treat Hair Loss And Baldness?
6. Aloe Vera – Containing many different properties, this plant tops as a versatile remedy against many conditions and disorders. When concerning the hair and scalp, aloe vera does great job in keeping them moisturized, thus effectively treating dry scalp.
How to Use Aloe Vera to Get Rid of Dry Scalp?:
- Apply pure aloe vera juice or gel to your hair and scalp.
- Leave on without rinsing off.
- Use this method as often as required.
- Make sure that the aloe vera juice does not contain any sugar or other substances.
- If you have an aloe vera plant, use the gel from it for the best results as it is 100% natural. This one will require you to rinse off after about 30 minutes.
Also read : How to Grow Hair Faster Naturally?
7. Coconut Oil – Have you heard of all the goodness of coconut oil? Then you must have known about its role as a natural treatment for dry scalp. It creates a barrier that helps in keeping skin moisturized which may in turn relieve excessive itching and dryness.
How to Use:
- Massage a small amount of coconut oil into clean scalp after washing your hair. Leave it on for at least 30 minutes and then wash off with a perfume-free shampoo. Repeat this remedy 3 times a week.
- Another option is to gently heat coconut oil until it melts and adding it to your regular shampoo.
8. Bananas – Dear banana lovers, here’s a delightful news for you. You can actually use bananas to treat an itchy scalp. It conditions your hair and treats itchy scalp all in a go. The moisturizing and nourishing properties in bananas will also reduce dandruff, flakes and inflammation.
How to Use:
- All you have to do is to mash 2 bananas and mix with 1 ripe avocado.
- Apply the mixture onto your scalp, and hair if you want to condition it.
- Let it sit for 30 minutes and then rinse thoroughly.
Also read : Uses of Rose Water For Hair
9. Witch Hazel – Witch hazel is a superb natural astringent. You can use it to treat your dry and itchy scalp at anytime of the day. If you color or blow dry your hair often, witch hazel is a perfect remedy for you as it repairs damaged hair and effectively moisturizes it.
How to Use:
- Mix 1 part witch hazel with 2 parts water.
- Pour the mixture onto your scalp and massage thoroughly.
- Let it sit for 5 to 10 minutes.
- Wash and rinse your hair and scalp thoroughly.
Also read : Egg White Hair Masks
Without doubts, there are many versatile and powerful home remedies for dry scalp. However it is crucial to make sure that you treat the problem as quickly as possible as it can lead to dandruff over time, which is a really difficult condition to treat. With the usage of these remedies, you can now have beautiful, shiny hair and a healthy scalp.