Home Remedies for Chest Congestion : Are you suffering from a bad case of chest congestion? Don’t worry, you are not alone. Chest congestion is a pretty common condition that affects most people at some point or another. As annoying and painful as it can get, chest congestion can be cured at home without having to spend wads of money on OTCs and other drugs that make you drowsy!
Cough and Congestion
A cough that is accompanied by chest congestion may be a symptom of the flu or common cold. It usually does not require medical attention. Congested chests may also be the cause of a more serious condition such as asthma, cystic fibrosis, pulmonary edema, GERD, airborne allergies, tuberculosis, bronchitis, heart problems or lung cancer. If you notice severe symptoms such as hives, difficulty in breathing, swelling or neck stiffness, you should consult a doctor immediately.
As for treating cough and the common symptoms of a chest congestion, we have in line some perfect home solutions for you. The best part about these solutions is that they do not come with any side effects, so they are completely safe to practice! Here is a look at some of the most tried and tested home remedies that work like a charm.
Home Remedies for Chest Congestion – Get Rid of Chest Congestion
1. Garlic and Lime Soup – Garlic contains anti-inflammatory properties that effectively help in clearing chest congestion. Lime is a citric fruit that can also help in getting rid of this problem. And, together they make a lovely concoction that will make your chest warm and happy.
How to Use:
- Squeeze the juice of 3 fresh lemons or limes in a cup of hot water.
- Stir well and then add 1 or 2 cloves of garlic.
- Add 1 teaspoon of crushed black pepper and a pinch of salt to taste.
- Stir well and drink the soup.
Also read: Top 10 Best Home Remedies For Cough
2. Turmeric – You always use it in your cooking, now use it to get rid of chest congestion. This common kitchen ingredient works almost instantly and will set you on your feet in no time at all! Turmeric contains natural antioxidant and anti-inflammatory properties. It can help in getting rid of a variety of health problems, especially conditions that affect the respiratory system.
How to Use: Method 1 – Turmeric with Honey, Black Pepper and Milk
- Take ½ teaspoon of turmeric powder and add it to a cup of hot milk.
- Add 1 pinch of black pepper and 2 teaspoons of honey to the mixture.
- Stir well and drink it while it is hot.
Method 2 – Turmeric with Apple Cider Vinegar
- Mix 2 tablespoons each of turmeric powder and apple cider vinegar.
- Stir the mixture well and then drink it to get relief from chest congestion.
Must read: How to Get Rid of Canker Sores Fast?
3. Steam – Your granny was right- there is no better way to treat a bad chest congestion than steam. The heat and moisture from steam helps in breaking up and dissolving mucus that is deep in your lungs and throat by liquefying it. This can do wonders in relieving the congestion and discomfort you experience.
How to Use: Method 1
- Take a large bowl and fill it with hot water. If you like, you can add a few drops of tea tree oil to it.
- Next, add a few drops of rosemary, peppermint or eucalyptus essential oil or vinegar to make the water strong.
- Drape a towel over your head to trap the steam and place your face over the bowl.
- Hold your position for as long as you can and breathe in deeply.
- Repeat until you get relief.
- Take a large bowl of boiling hot water.
- Add 3 drops of peppermint essential oil, 5 drops of eucalyptus essential oil and 2 drops of rosemary essential oil.
- Gently swirl the bowl so that the oils blend.
- Take a towel and drape it over your head.
- Lean over the bowl and take deep breaths.
- Keep your head over the steam for as long as you can and continue taking deep breaths at regular intervals.
- When used regularly, this remedy will help to clear the mucus from your chest and relieve chest congestion.
Taking a hot shower regularly can also help in easing chest congestion. Hence, the more you shower, the better you feel! Another effective remedy is placing a hot compress on your throat and chest. Also, drink warm water regularly – it will help loosen the phlegm and mucus in your chest and ease discomfort.
Also read: Home Remedies For Sore Throat
4. Licorice – Could there be any herb more divisive than licorice? Perhaps not! While those who hate it simply hate it, the others who love it constantly look for ways to add it into every dish they cook. The licorice found in this herb acts as a natural expectorant that work effectively to relieve cough and congestion. It also helps in soothing inflamed lungs and throat irritation.
How to Use:
- Take ½ teaspoon of licorice root and add it to a cup of hot water.
- Allow it to steep for 5 minutes and strain.
- Drink this tea to get relief from congestion.
- Use this remedy 3 times a day for best results.
Remember that you should never use this remedy if you have blood pressure issues.
Must read: Home Remedies for Toothache
5. Mustard Plaster – Did you know that you can use mustard plaster to treat chest congestion? Though it may impart a pungent odor, packs of mustard have been used since time immemorial to treat even the most stubborn chest congestion. Apart from this problem, you can use it for other respiratory problems like sinus, bronchitis, etc. Try this rather simple recipe and clear up the mucus from your lungs.
How to Use:
- Take 1 tablespoon of dried mustard and mix it with 4 tablespoons of flour.
- Add hot water to make a runny paste.
- Apply good quality olive oil on your chest.
- Next, spread the paste on a clean muslin cloth and place it on your chest.
- Leave it on until it cools completely. Make sure that you remove it immediately if it is too hot and causes a burning sensation.
Also read: 10 Natural Antibiotics From Your Kitchen
6. Onion and Honey- Onion has also been used since time immemorial in curing several ailments. And chest congestion turned out to be one of the many ailments that it works wonders on. The trick is done by its anti inflammatory properties, added with the miracles of honey.
How to use:
- Throw in a few slices of onion in a bowl.
- Cover it up with a layer of honey.
- Leave it as is overnight.
- The following morning, take the onion and eat it up.
- Do this four times a day.
- Also, spoon up the honey throughout the day.
You can also eat slices of plain onion for relief from chest congestion. Yes, they are a lil pungent but can help relieve your heaviness in no time at all.
Must read: How to Get Rid of a Stuffy Nose?
7. Bay Leaf- This is a herb that you must instantly put to use should you have a chest congestion. You can simply throw in a bay leaf in the curries you prepare for dinner and allow it to work its magic upon consumption. Alternatively, you may also cure a bad chest congestion by drinking a tea made of bay leaves.
How to Use:
- Set aside a few bay leaves.
- Put a bowl of water to boil. Throw in the bay leaves once the water begins to boil.
- Let the water cool and drink through the day, preferably warm.
- You may also use bay leaves as a hot compress if you are suffering from a bad chest congestion. To do this, use a clean cloth and dip into the warm bay leaf water and place it on your chest.
You can repeat these remedies through the week to alleviate the symptoms associated with a chest congestion.
Also read: Home Remedies For Migraines
8. Lemons- If you feel heavy and uneasy due to a chest congestion, try lemon. This hardy fruit helps in clearing mucus and attacks mucus-forming bacteria. It is a safe and natural remedy and can be used by all age groups.
How to Use:
- Add some grated lemon rind to a cup of hot water.
- Allow it to steep for about ten minutes.
- Strain and drink the liquid when warm.
- You may also gargle with this liquid if you are also suffering from a bad throat.
Must read: Benefits and Uses of Lemon Peels
9. Thyme- One of the best remedies to treat a chest congestion is right in your kitchen closet. This herb helps the lungs fight an infection naturally. Thyme helps fight mucus-causing bacteria and decongests your chest.
How to Use:
- Prepare a homemade concoction of thyme by adding a quarter teaspoon of thyme in a cup of steaming hot or boiling water.
- Add a tbsp. of honey to sweeten the mixture and drink it up.
- You may also use thyme oil to remedy a congested chest. For this dilute thyme oil with olive or corn oil in a 1:1 proportion and rub it on your chest.
Also read: Apple Cider Vinegar Uses and Benefits
10. Radish- If you have tried a dozen of home remedies, and are yet to find relief from a chest congestion, it is time you tried radish. This veggie is not just good for your skin, but is also amazing to treat chest congestion. While this remedy may not appeal to your taste buds, it works wonders in clearing a chest congestion associated with allergies, cold and even bronchitis.
How to Use:
- Chop a few radishes and throw them into a bowl.
- Squeeze the juice of a lemon over the chopped radish and eat it all up.
- You may also make a juice of the radish using a blender and drink the concoction throughout the day.
Radish is a natural expectorant and will ease the congestion in just a few days!
Must read: 10 Effective Home Remedies For Heartburn
See how easy it is to treat chest congestion at home? These safe and natural home remedies are in fact the best and safest ways to relieve this problem. Just keep in mind that you should immediately see a doctor if the problem persists or gets worse.