Home Remedies for Itchy Scalp : Itchy scalp is a common problem seen mostly in adults. It can be a sign of poor hygiene, caused often by dandruff, accumulation of dirt, oil or grit, or even lice. Another common reason for itchy scalp is a type of fungal infection that leaves scalp dry and flaky. Fortunately, the itchiness can be controlled by various home remedies and ingredients that are commonly available in the kitchen cabinet.
What are the Common Causes of Itchy Scalp?
Some common causes of an itchy scalp are:
- Skin disorders like scalp psoriasis, eczema, seborrhea can cause itchy scalp
- Head lice
- Certain vitamin deficiencies like Vit D
- Constantly using the same shampoo for years, which causes certain chemicals to settle on to the scalp and cause itchiness
- Accumulation of dust, dirt, oil and sweat on to the scalp and hair
Natural Home Remedies for Itchy Scalp Treatment
1.Essential oils for itchy scalp: Prepare a mixture of various essential oils like coconut, almond, olive and lavender oil. Massage this mixture on your scalp and leave it overnight. Wash and shampoo as usual the next morning. When practiced frequently, not only can this method rid itchy scalp, but also nourish the hair from its roots.
2. Get rid of itchy scalp with homemade hair mask: This mask helps in moisturizing the scalp and thus reduces flakes and dryness .
Method: To make the mask, mash a ripe banana well and mix it with a tablespoon of honey. Apply to scalp and let it sit for at least 20 minutes. Wash the mask off your hair with your regular shampoo.
Must read: Uses of Rose Water For Hair
3. Get rid of itchy scalp with steam: Apply to your hair and scalp the mixture of essential oils as stated in Point 1. Dip a towel in hot water, twirl it and wrap it around your head till the towel cools. The steam penetrates the pores of the skin of the scalp and rid it of any sediment or accumulation of dirt, oils, etc.
4. Get rid of itchy scalp with lemon: Lemon is an excellent ingredient that will help you get rid of an itchy scalp. Take the juice of a lemon and directly apply it to the scalp. After 30 minutes, shampoo and rinse as usual. Alternatively, you can also rub lemon a wedge directly onto your scalp, which also works as an exfoliant.
Must read: How To Use Lemon Peels?
5. Apple Cider Binegar for itchy scalp : Apple cider vinegar is an amazing anti-fungal agent that rids itchiness associated with any kind of fungal infection. After washing your hair with shampoo, take a mug of water and add a tablespoon of apple cider vinegar into it. Use this an after rinse.
6. Baking Soda for itchy scalp : Baking soda is also known as a natural homemade cleanser for hair. To try this remedy, you need to make a fine paste out of baking soda and water. Apply this to scalp and wash off after 30 minutes.
Must read: 13 Foods For Healthy And Beautiful Hair
7. Aloe Vera to get rid of itchy scalp : Aloe vera is known for its numerous medicinal properties. It cools and nourishes the scalp, preventing itchiness and drying. Extract the gel from a fresh aloe vera and apply it to scalp. Let it sit for a few minutes and wash off with your regular shampoo.
8. Tea Tree Oil for Itchy scalp : Tea tree oil is an excellent antibacterial and antifungal agent. Mix about 100 ml of your regular hair oil with a few drops of tea tree oil and massage your scalp with it. Leave it on for 2 hours before washing it off with shampoo.
Must read: Top 15 Uses of Tea Tree Oil
9. Get rid of itchy scalp with sesame oil: Like any other oils, sesame oil is also a great to moisturize the skin and scalp. It effectively gets rid of itchy scalp caused by excessive dryness, lice or any other fungal infections. Slightly warm some sesame oil and apply it directly on your scalp. You may also add in a few drops of lavender oil as it helps in getting rid of lice and itchiness. Let it stay on your scalp for at least 2 hours, or overnight before you shampoo your hair. Repeat this process every time you plan to wash your hair.
Also read: Natural Remedies For Oily Skin
10. Get rid of itchy scalp with onion juice: Onion juice has been used for ages to help hair growth. It is known to have stimulants that revive hair follicles as well as elements that cleanse the scalp. It is particularly used to treat itchy scalp caused by dandruff.
Squeeze the juice of a finely grated onion and apply it directly on scalp. Let the juice stay on your scalp for about an hour, and shampoo as usual afterwards.
Must read: How Does Onion Help In Hair Growth?
11. Get rid of itchy scalp with eucalyptus oil: Eucalyptus oil has antibacterial and antifungal properties that help fight scalp infections of any kind.
Method: Take 2 tablespoons of vinegar and add 1 teaspoon of eucalyptus oil. Now mix both of these with 4 cups of water. Use this solution as a rinse every time you wash your hair.
Also read: How to Get Rid of a Hickey Fast?
Some other tips and tricks that can help you get rid of itchy scalp
1. Using the same product for a prolonged period leads to product build up on your scalp. Hence, it’s very important to deep cleanse your scalp to help it get rid of the stubborn chemicals or any other components that can possibly trigger infection. Also, keep switching the products that you use on your hair according to seasons, especially shampoos, conditioners and serums.
2. Avoid using harsh chemicals and heat as they damage hair and create hair problems.
3. Try to switch over to herbal products as they lead to minimum build up of sediments on your hair and scalp.
4. Oil your hair regularly and wash it off properly to avoid any residue of soapy contents on your hair.
5. Always protect your hair with a scarf or umbrella every time you are under the sun, as the sun’s UV rays can cause a lot of damage to the scalp and hair.
6. Drink lots of water and eat green leafy vegetables as they provide hydration and nutrients that keep our hair healthy.
7. Always use only lukewarm water or cold water to wash off your hair. Using hot water on your hair will strip all the natural oils off, leaving your scalp dry and hair frizzy.
8. Let your hair dry naturally before tying it up. Avoid combing, straightening or doing anything to your hair and scalp when it’s wet as they tend to fall and break more easily.
Also read: How to Get Rid of Double Chin?
Do try these simple home remedies for itchy scalp and let us know how they worked out for you! Let us know if you have any other tried and tested remedies that we can add to this list!