How to Get Rid of Scabies?: Scabies is a rather contagious skin condition often accompanied by grave discomfort which can infect children as well as young adults. The root cause of scabies is a mite that goes by the name Sarcoptes Scabiei, which can survive for about a month feasting on human skin. Scabies usually causes itching and inflammation all over the skin, but incidentally can be treated at home. Without further ado, here are a few home remedies for scabies.
Top 10 Home Remedies to Get Rid of Scabies
To get rid of scabies, you can resort to the use of zinc as it helps to prevent fungal outbreaks and at the same time fight against skin infections.
In order to use Zinc to treat scabies, follow these steps:
- Grind a couple of Zinc tablets into a fine powder.
- Add some water to make a thick paste.
- Add a little turmeric to the paste.
- Apply this paste to the affected areas and leave it on for thirty minutes.
- Rinse off with lukewarm water soon after.
2. Tiger Balm
A little known fact is that tiger balm can be used to treat scabies as well. Although tiger balm doesn’t kill the itch mites, it helps by providing relief from itching, thanks to the presence of analgesic agents, camphor and clove oil.
Also read: Home Remedies To Get Rid Of Mosquito Bites
Bleach can also be used to get rid of scabies. This is because it contains chlorine, a type of disinfectant that kills the mite associated with the infection in the first place.
In order to apply the treatment follow these steps:
- To a large container, add a cup of bleach. Follow this up with three cups of water.
- Make a paste out of these ingredients.
- With the help of a cotton ball, apply the paste on the affected area.
- Allow it to dry naturally.
- Take a shower soon after.
Be mindful of the fact that bleach is an extremely corrosive substance in its undiluted form. Never should you use the substance without diluting it.
Must read: Home Remedies for Acne
Turmeric, with its antiseptic and anti inflammatory properties helps to relieve the symptoms of scabies.
This remedy is fairly simple, following are the steps:
- Make a thick paste out of turmeric, lemon juice and water.
- Apply this wonder paste on the affected area, leaving it on for an hour or so.
- Do this once everyday.
Another home remedy for scabies that you could try out is:
- Mix in turmeric and neem powder in equal proportions with water.
- Make a smooth paste out of it.
- Apply it on the affected area.
- Once it dries off, wash it with warm water.
- Repeat this process once a day till you see an improvement.
Also read: 9 Home Remedies For Psoriasis
5. Tea Tree Oil
Tea tree oil is an effective way to get rid of scabies as it contains terpinen-4-ol. This is a compound which kills the parasite that causes scabies. As a disinfectant, antiseptic, antiparasitic and antibacterial agent, tea tree oil excels in this case.
To use this home remedy for scabies you must:
- Mix in a tablespoon each of tea tree oil and olive oil.
- Apply the solution on the affected area with the help of a cotton ball.
- Repeat this process twice everyday.
Another remedy you could try out is to add in 12 drops of tea tree oil to a bathtub with lukewarm water. For a few weeks, take a bath in this water twice a day.
Must read: How To Get Rid of Cradle Cap?
Onion can also be used to get rid of scabies. This is due to the fact that onions contain quercetin which helps to relieve the symptoms of an itch. Also, they contain organosulfur compounds which attack the scabies parasite directly.
There are multiple ways in which you can use onions such as:
- Take an onion and chop it into pieces.
- Place it in a bowl and sprinkle some salt on it.
- Cover the bowl and leave it for a while.
- Apply the resultant juice on the affected area.
- Grind an onion in the mixer
- Take the resultant paste in a muslin cloth and squeeze the juice out of it.
- Apply it on the affected area.
- Boil eight onions in a quart of water.
- Allow the water to cool down.
- Apply this on the affected area.
Also read: How to Get Rid of Keratosis Pilaris?
7. Aloe Vera
It’s no surprise that Aloe Vera makes its way to yet another list of home remedies. Aloe Vera acts as an antibacterial agent that heals the skin, in the process of eliminating the mites from the skin surface.
Apply the aloe gel directly to the affected area and leave it on.
Must read: How to Get Rid of Scars on Face?
8. Borax and Hydrogen Peroxide
Borax and Hydrogen peroxide, when paired up, can also help in the treatment of scabies. Borax is a natural insecticide and fungicide. Hydrogen peroxide, on the other hand is an antibacterial agent. Together this chemically stable duo kill the scabies parasite.
For this treatment:
- Fill a bathtub with lukewarm water.
- Mix borax and hydrogen peroxide in a 2:1 proportion.
- Immerse your body in this bath for a minimum of fifteen minutes.
Also read: How to Get Rid Of Scars on Legs?
9. Neem Oil
Neem oil can be used to get rid of scabies as it is antiviral in nature. It helps the skin to quickly heal from an infection caused by scabies. Apply the neem oil directly onto your skin and massage it for better effects. You can also boil neem leaves in water with which you can rinse your skin.
Must read: How To Get Rid of Boils?
10. White Vinegar
The acidic nature of white vinegar makes it a strong contender in getting rid of scabies as it changes the pH level of the skin which in turn causes the mites to die.
For this remedy:
- Mix equal quantities of white vinegar and water in a bowl.
- Apply this solution on the affected areas.
- Leave it on for a few minutes before washing off with lukewarm water.
Also read: How To Get Rid Of Hives Symptoms?
As you can see, scabies can be treated quite effectively at home as long as you get hold of the right ingredients. But also keep in mind that you should frequently change your bedding and clothing, vacuum furniture and the carpets as well. Try to minimize your levels of stress and eat a healthy diet. These are sure fire ways to get rid of scabies.