Yoga for Couples : It’s February, the month of LOVE and today is Feb 14, Valentine’s Day. What’s a better way to start the day than practicing Yoga with your loved one?
I love doing Yoga with my partner because of various reasons. One, you get some bonus bonding time with your special one doing something as amazing as Yoga and two, it strengthens the motivation within the both of you as you help each other to achieve Yoga postures. Moreover, it builds trust in each other and increases the exchange of positive energy between the two bodies. One can never have enough of positive energy now, can they?!
After all, yoga for couples is an amazing stress buster and a great activity for couples who are caught up in their mundane routine. I hope you enjoy this article as much as I did writing it. Happy Valentine’s Day!
6 Yoga Poses For Couples and Partners
Here are some of the basic asanas in Yoga for couples.
1. Upavistha Konasana or wide angle seated forward bend pose –This is a great pose for improving flexibility of the hamstrings.
- Sit facing each other and straighten your legs extended in front of you.
- Open your legs, widely forming a triangle. Gently tilt your hips forward and rotate your thighs outward. Your knee caps must point to the sky.
- Avoid lifting your knees. If this happens, press your knees down to the ground.
- With your palms, hold each other’s arms (or till where ever you feel comfortable). One must pull the other gently for a forward bend. Hold for 15 breaths, and repeat by taking turns.
Also check : Yoga Poses to Reduce Hair Fall
2. Paschimottanasana or seated forward bend pose– This is also a great pose for improving flexibility of the hamstrings, shoulders and the spine.
- Face each other with your legs extended outward in front of you.
- Touch the sole of your feet with that of your partner’s and sit up straight with an erect spine.
- Hold each other’s hands and feel the stretch in your hamstrings.
- To deepen the stretch, allow one partner to pull the other gently and hold for few breaths. Repeat with the other.
Must check : 7 Yoga Poses For Attaining Your Dream Buttocks
3. Paripurna Navasana or the boat pose– This asana helps tone the core muscles and strengthens spine and hip flexors.
- Sit down with your knees bent, keeping a straight spine, facing your partner. Place your hands by your side with fingers pointing straight towards your feet.
- Slightly lean back and lift your feet off the floor, while maintaining an erect spine. Hold your partner’s hands to maintain balance, let the sole of your feet be in contact with your partner’s, and stay in this position for 15 breaths.
- If you are unable to lift your feet all the way up, bend your knees a little and lift up till wherever you feel comfortable. You should feel your abdominal muscles working.
Also check : 8 Powerful Yoga Asanas To Increase Endurance
4. Bharadvajasana or the seated spinal twist – This pose provides a great stretch to the spine, hips and shoulders. This spinal twist is also good for improving digestion.
- Sit on a mat and let your back face your partner’s.
- Bend your knees and fold your legs towards the left side of your body. Both of you should feel the weight of the body move all the way to the right side. Lengthen your spine and breathe easily.
- Hold your right knee with your left hand. Twist and place your right hand on your partner’s left knee. Hold this posture for 15 breaths before releasing gently.
Must check : 15 Powerful Yoga Asanas To Get Rid Of Belly Fat
5. Ardha Uttanasana or standing half forward bend– This is a great pose for lengthening your spine and provides a great stretch to your legs People with back injuries should avoid this pose.
- Both the partners should stand at either ends of the mat, facing each other.
- Place your feet slightly apart but not very wide, pointing towards each other. Elongate your spine and relax your shoulders.
- With an exhale and an inhale, bend forward without rounding or slouching your back and shoulders. Stretch your hands all the way up in front of you and hold your partner’s hands.
- Lengthen your spine throughout the posture and breathe.
- Hold for 15 breaths and release gently.
Also check : 14 Yoga Asanas To Reduce Stress
6. Utkatanasana or the chair pose – This posture energizes the whole body while strengthening the lower body. People with recent hip injuries or pain in hip, knees or back should avoid this posture.
- Stand facing your partner with feet hip width apart. Keep your spine straight and shoulders rolled back and relaxed.
- Hold your partner’s hands and start to bend your knees. And push your buttocks back as if you are sitting on a chair. You do not have to go all the way down until your buttocks are parallel to the floor.
- You can bend as much as you are comfortable with. With practice you will be able to achieve the full pose.
- Remember to keep your knees, shin and feet, all in the same line.
- Breathe easily and hold the posture for 15 counts.
Must check : 8 Yoga Poses to Improve Flexibility
**Remember to warm up with a few rounds of Suryanamaskar before starting. Always remember to end your yoga practice with Shavasana (Corpse Pose).
Happy Valentine’s Day all you lovely Yogis and Yoginis! Keep calm and spread the love 😀