Bloating remedies : Bloating is one of the common ailments in today’s world, that largely goes unattended. In the simplest of words, bloating means to be swollen, because of being filled up with gas or fluid. In case of the human body, these are both possible. However, a very small number of people know that an ailment like bloating can be treated with the help of home remedies for bloating.
What are the Symptoms of Bloating? What are the Warning Signs?
Gas and bloating are a clear sign that the food consumed is not being digested by the body, like it should be. An insufficient intake of water , or even dehydration can also cause the stomach to bloat. Water consumption is crucial to help the body to digest the food well, and support a majority of functions performed by the body on a daily basis. However, it is best suggested that you drink water 30 minutes before meals, as it is proven to effectively improve digestion and aid weight loss too.
Besides insufficient water intake, any extra fat deposit can also slow down the body’s ability to empty the stomach, thus resulting in bloating.
- Bloating makes the belly somewhat distended
- It makes the patient feel “full”, with a sense of tightness in the belly
- Increase in the abdominal circumference
- Abdominal pain
- Stomach growling – increased or even worse, completely absent
- Sometimes, it may even cause shortness of breath
- Pains which are cramp – like in nature, and can be caused anywhere in the body, often changing locations frequently
- Rampant hiccups. Though these hiccups are harmless, and release some of the gas stuck in the intestines, they tend to dismiss in a matter of time.
- Blood in the stool
Also read : Home Remedies for Constipation
What Causes Bloating?
- Dietary Habits
- Celiac Disease
- Ovarian cancer
- Menstruation, dysmenorrheal
- Massive infestation with intestinal parasites (e.g., Ascaris lumbricoides)
- Gastric distension
- Food allergy
- Irritable bowel syndrome
- Gastric dumping syndrome also known as rapid gastric emptying
- Gas-producing foods
- Lactose intolerance, fructose intolerance and other food intolerances
- Polycystic ovary syndrome and ovarian cysts
- Partial bowel obstruction
- Splenic-flexure syndrome
- Certain Medications, such as phentermine
- Crohn’s Disease
- Irritable bowel syndrome
- Lactose intolerance
- Bowel Obstruction
- Aerophagia (air swallowing, a nervous habit)
- Visceral fat
- Alvarez’ syndrome, which is the bloating of unknown or psychogenic origin, where bloating is witnessed without excess of gas in the digestive tract
- Occurs in some due to salivary hypersecretion and dehydration.
Some other lesser common causes of bloating are:
- Large intra-abdominal tumors, like the ones that arise from serious cancers of the ovaries, stomach, liver and uterus
- Megacolon, which is an abnormal dilation of the colon caused by some diseases, like the Chagas disease (parasitic infection)
- CPR Prcedure (Cardiopulmonary resuscitation procedure), which involves the method of providing artificial mouth-to-mouth insufflation of air.
Home Remedies for Bloating and Gas
1. Ginger as a Remedy for Bloating
Ginger has certain components like gingerol, which relieves pain from the body and shagols, which eases and soothe the muscles of the intestines. It is also a carminative, which means that it helps the intestines to get rid of excessive gas. It also thins blood, enhancing circulation.
- Consume a teaspoon of grated raw ginger for instant relief.
- Make a simple tea out of fresh ginger slices with some lemon juice and honey for taste. Let it steep in hot water for at least 10 minutes before drink. Drink this mix regularly before and after meals.
Also check : How to Get Rid of a Stuffy Nose?
2. Dandelion Tea Remedies for bloating
Dandelion tea is a natural laxative and diuretic, which means that it helps the digestive system to get rid of excess water, gas, and wastage, relieving gas symptoms and bloating.
- Put in about one teaspoon of fresh or dried dandelion flowers, or the leaves (anything you can find- make sure it is thoroughly washed if you are using fresh ones) in a tea cup and top it with boiling water. Let this mixture sit for a minute and then add honey and lemon juice. Drink this tea regularly.
Must read : Dandelion Tea For Knee Pain
3. Pumpkin Remedies for Bloating
Digestion is made difficult by spicy, fatty foods and foods high in fiber. When these foods are broken down by the intestine, a lot of gas is produced. Vitamin A in pumpkins reduces the production of gas and aids in digestion.
- Add pumpkin in any of your favorite recipes, or simply steam/boil/roast it and have it often.
Also check : Uses of Rose Water For Skin and Hair
4. Probiotics as Remedies for Bloating
Probiotics are also known as the “good bacteria”. This good bacteria is often found in abundance in foods like kefir, yogurt, kimchi and sauerkraut. Consuming these foods at least once a day can keep bloating problems at bay.
Must read : 5 Psychological Tips for Successful Weight Loss
5. Anise Seed Remedies for Bloating
Anise seeds are anti-spasmodic, which means that anise seeds relax muscles that have been stressed. They are also antimicrobial as well as carminative in nature, which helps in relieving gas blocked in the intestine.
- Add anise seed to any recipe of your choice
- Chew a tea spoon of these seeds thoroughly
Also check : 9 Home Remedies For Psoriasis
6. Warm Lemon Water Remedies for Bloating
Rich in Vitamins B, C, and other nutrients like riboflavin, calcium, magnesium, phosphorous and certain proteins, it enhances the production of Hydrochloric acid in the stomach, improving digestion. Water flushes out the toxins from the system. In combination, water and lemon work efficiently to digest food better and flush out unwanted items from the body.
-add a freshly squeezed lime to a glass of warm water, until it becomes cloudy. Consume it empty stomach on a daily basis.
Must read : Health Benefits of Drinking Hot Water With Honey and Lemon
7. Caraway Seed Remedies for Bloating
Caraway seeds have carminative and anti microbial properties, which eliminates bacteria that produces gas, as well as releases excess gas from body.
- Take a teaspoon of caraway seeds and chew them as it is. You can also use them in food recipes or even crackers.
Also check : 12 Natural Remedies For Skin Tag Removal
8. Fennel Remedies for Bloating
Fennel is magical as it has the ability to relieve blocked gas and relax muscles of the intestine.
- Crush and add 2 tablespoons of fennel seeds in a glass. To this, add about a tea spoon full of honey and warm water. Consume this drink regularly
- You can also simply toss some fennel seeds in the mouth and chew them as it is.
Must read : 9 Best Home Remedies For Migraines
9. Chamomile Tea Remedies for Bloating
Chamomile tea is known for its property of relaxing the digestive system. It has anti-inflammatory and anti-spasmodic properties, which aid the release of trapped gas.
- In a cup, add approximately 2 table spoons of chamomile tea leaves. Top this with boiling water. Let it steep for a few minutes. Add some honey and lemon juice and have this tea often.
Also check : How To Get Rid Of Bad Breath?
10. Dietary Changes as a Remedy for Bloating
It is crucial to monitor the kind of food being consumed and avoid the intake of too much fiber, fatty foods, spicy foods and foods that cause more gas to develop. You may also want to assess yourself for being intolerant of milk and milk products. If you were not intolerant to milk as a child, there are still chances that you may have developed the intolerance over the years and digesting milk products may cause you gas and bloating.
Some example of fruits and foods to be avoided are:
- Kidney Beans
- Brussels sprouts
- Soy Beans
Must read : 10 of The Best High Fiber Foods
11.Massage as a Remedy for Bloating
Massaging the belly in circular (clockwise) motion, around the naval, can also help in the elimination of gas from the intestines and relieve pain. Remember to lie down before you massage in order to relax the intestines and allowing the gas to pass without blockages.
Also check : How To Lose Love Handles?
12. Exercise as a Remedy for Bloating
Exercise is the probable solution to most of the ailments of the body. Certain yoga postures are highly effective in relieving gas from the body and strengthening the digestive system. You can also opt for a workout that you enjoy doing – ranging from Zumba, to aerobics, to rigorous Gym workouts – anything at all! While exercising, remember to breathe in from the nose and breathe out from the mouth for best results.
Must read : Exercises To Get Rid Of Flabby Arms
As common an ailment as bloating is, the remedies to get rid of it are even simpler, provided they are carefully followed at home, keeping it in a routine. Do let us know how these home remedies for bloating worked out for you.
The articles is really great,detailed and well written .Thank you so much for this ,Prisha 🙂
Thank You Ms. Chatterji, I’m glad this information seemed helpful to you!
Do let me know how these remedies worked out for you! 🙂