Home remedies for Carpal Tunnel Syndrome: The carpal tunnel is a narrow passageway made of bones and ligaments which lies on the palm side of the wrist. When the median nerve, which runs through the passageway to the thumb and first three fingers, is subject to continuous pressure, you end up with a carpal tunnel syndrome. The condition is accompanied by an inflammation caused by the swelling in the wrist which in some cases obstructs blood flow. Diabetes, thyroid dysfunction, high blood pressure or autoimmune disorders such as rheumatoid arthritis have been said to contribute to carpal tunnel syndrome. Before we head on to the home remedies for carpal tunnel, here is what else you should know about the condition.
When your tendons are repetitively used, you experience pain, which is basically your tendon’s way of signalling you to stop further pressure and avoid damage to the area. If you feel a tingling sensation or perhaps a numbness in your arms and hands, chances are that carpal tunnel syndrome has gotten the better of you. While women are more likely to experience CTS due to the fact that they have smaller wrists, men too are at risk. Take note that the condition can also be caused by the playing of a musical instrument, manual labor, frequent usage of vibrating hand tools and sometimes even computer work.
The disorder usually starts off slowly and might affect just one hand. But should you feel the numbness or tingling sensation prolonging, seek immediate medical assistance. For mild cases of CTS, you may be able to ease your symptoms with some lifestyle changes, medication as well as home remedies.
8 Effective Home Remedies for Carpal Tunnel Syndrome
Here are a few home remedies for carpal tunnel.
1. Castor Oil
Castor oil is an effective remedy for treating CTS as it reduces inflammation. This, in turn, suppresses pain and restores normal functioning of your wrists.
For this remedy:
- Warm castor oil and apply it to your hands and fingers.
- Massage the affected areas for about ten to fifteen minutes.
- Wrap the affected areas in flannel and leave it on for about an hour.
- Repeat this process once every day for a week until you see an improvement.
2. Epsom Salt
Epsom salt is a great natural muscle relaxant and anti-inflammatory agent due to the content of magnesium in it. This effectively relaxes tightened muscles in the hands and wrists, making it one of the best home remedies for carpal tunnel.
For this remedy:
- Mix in half a cup of epsom salt in a tub of warm water.
- Soak your hands and wrists in this for fifteen to twenty minutes.
- Repeat this remedy twice or thrice a week until you gain relief from the pain and stiffness.
3. Stretching Exercises
It is good to flex, rotate or stretch your hands several times a day if you suffer from CTS. This increases blood circulation and also alleviates some of the symptoms that you might be facing. Stretching exercises can be done while you are working at your desk, while waiting in a line or basically any point of time when you seem to find some time to spare.
Here are some exercises for you:
- Make a fist, release your hand and shake out your fingers. Repeat this five or ten times a day.
- Put your hands in a prayer position, spreading your fingers apart, keeping the tips touching the fingers of your other hand. Open and close your palms. Do this for about five or ten minutes every day.
- Shake your hands as if you are trying to air dry them, five minutes at a time.
- You could also ask your doctor about more stretching exercises that can increase circulation, movement, and mobility of your wrists and hands.
Related: How to get rid of heel spur?
4. Cold compress
For a temporary yet instant relief from inflammation or numbness brought about by CTS, you can use a cold compress. The cold temperature relieves pain by numbing the affected areas and can reduce swelling and inflammation in the process. Compared to the other home remedies for carpal tunnel, this one provides the quickest relief.
- Place a few ice cubes in a plastic, sealable bag.
- Wrap the bag in a towel and apply it on the affected area.
- Leave it in place for about 10 minutes.
- Repeat every hour or so, as needed.
- Never apply ice directly on your skin
Related: Home remedies for swollen feet
5. Massage therapy
Massaging your hands and wrists is another effective way to alleviate the many symptoms of CTS. It activates the pressure points on your hands, which in turn increases blood supply, relaxes stiff muscles, improves mobility and reduces pain.
- Rub warm coconut or olive oil on your hands and wrists.
- Massage your arms, wrists, hands, and fingers for about ten or fifteen minutes.
- Repeat this twice or thrice a day until you notice an improvement in your condition.
- You can also reach out to a massage therapist, also.
- Keep in mind not to massage if your joints feel too tender or painful.
Related: How to stop eye twitching?
6. Blackstrap molasses
Blackstrap molasses are a good source of magnesium which plays a role in muscle relaxation. Its nutrients such as iron, B vitamins, calcium and potassium maintain good blood flow right through the body. A little fun fact, blackstrap molasses can also be used to relief menstrual cramps.
For this remedy:
- Mix in one or two tablespoons of blackstrap molasses in a cup of warm milk.
- Drink this once or twice daily until you notice an improvement in your condition.
Related: How to relieve menstrual cramps?
7. Flaxseed oil
Flaxseed oil, or linseed oil, can alleviate pain and swelling brought about by CTS. This is mainly due to the analgesic, anti-inflammatory and anti-oxidative properties present in it. It is also rich in omega-3 fatty acids which are responsible to reduce inflammation, making it one of the best home remedies for carpal tunnel.
For this remedy:
- Consume one or two tablespoons of flaxseed oil daily.
- You can even add it to your smoothie, milk or juice.
Related: How to get rid of a stiff neck?
8. Apple Cider Vinegar
Another effective way to get rid of carpal tunnel is apple cider vinegar, which helps to reduce inflammation and pain, the two of the major symptoms seen in CTS.
Also, it is rich in minerals such as magnesium, calcium, potassium, and phosphorus, which play a vital role in the build-up of strong muscles and bones.
Here are a few home remedies with apple cider vinegar that you can try:
- Add 1 tablespoon of raw, unfiltered apple cider vinegar to a glass of warm water.
- To this, add some honey.
- Drink this twice every day.
- Mix in equal amounts of raw, unfiltered apple cider vinegar and olive oil.
- Use this to massage the affected area 2 or 3 times daily until you notice an improvement.
Do give these home remedies for carpal tunnel a try. If you suffer from mild CTS, chances are this post suffices as your guide for complete relief. For more critical cases of CTS, it is best you visit your doctor.