Home Remedies for Fleas on Cats : Did you know that nearly 2,000 species and subspecies of fleas exist in the world? Not only do they move and grow at a rapid rate, they also reproduce extremely fast, especially in warm and humid environment. So does your cat have a flea problem? Have you tried different anti-flea products to no avail? Well, there is good news for you as there are a number of effective home remedies for fleas on cats. They are all-natural and safe so you never put your pet in danger from the chemicals that most anti-flea products contain.
100% Natural and Sure-Fire Home Remedies for Fleas on Cats
Here is a look at some of the best home remedies to help you get rid of pesky fleas that are causing havoc on your cat:
1. Apple Cider Vinegar
You have probably heard of the many benefits that apple cider vinegar, also known as ACV, has for health, skin and hair. Apparently, you can also use it to treat fleas on your cat. It is natural and harmless, so you do not have to worry about harming your furry feline friend at all.
How to Use:
- Mix ACV and water in a 2:1 proportion.
- Mix well and pour the solution into a spray bottle.
- Drench your cat’s coat with it and comb the fur gently.
Note: This remedy will not kill the fleas but cause them to jump off of your pet, hence it is best to do this outside your home. This remedy generally works for about 3 to 4 days.
Also check: Home remedies for dog ear infection
2. Diatomaceous Earth (DE)
Diatomaceous Earth, A.K.A. DE, is a natural rock that is made up of the remains of tough shelled algae that are centuries old. It is generally used in powder form. DE is one of the most effective home remedies for fleas on cats, and the best part about it is that it is harmless for animals as well as humans. DE’s sharp edges can slice through the tough and waxy exoskeleton of the pest and causes dehydration that leads to fleas’ death.
How to Use:
- First off, put on a pair of gloves and dust your hands with DE before using it.
- Sprinkle the DE powder on your cat’s coat or fur and then rub it in as thoroughly as you can. Take precautions to ensure that the powder does not come into contact with your nose and eyes.
- Dust your cat’s furniture and bedding with DE as well.
- Use DE once a day until your cat’s fleas are eliminated and once a week on your cat’s bedding.
Must read: How to get rid of fleas and ticks naturally?
3. Soapy Water
Light is one of the things that attracts fleas the most. Use this weakness to your advantage and kill the fleas on your feline friend. While light attracts the fleas, the soapy water helps to kill them, giving your pet a flea-free coat.
How to Use:
- Fill a shallow dish with warm, soapy water and place it under a nightlight. The fleas will be attracted to the light and hop or jump towards it, eventually drowning in the water.
- When you check the dish the next morning, it is more than likely that you will find multiple dead fleas in the dish.
- Empty the dish and repeat the process every day until your cat no longer has fleas.
Also check: How to get rid of skunk smell from pets?
4. Salt Water
Did you know that something as simple as salt can help you get rid of pesky fleas from your cat? Compared to all the other home remedies for fleas on cats, this one is on the mild side ad works as a repellent. As much as your furry friend will hate to take a bath, it is mandatory that you give it a nice salt water bath to eliminate fleas once and for all.
How to Use:
- Make a salt water solution and rub it on your cat’s coat or fur. You will probably need another person’s assistance to hold your pet while you rub on the salt water.
- Let your cat out so that the fleas can jump off its body.
- Use salt water to clean the floor and carpet.
- Another good idea is to sprinkle salt directly on your carpet or rug to destroy the eggs and larvae of these fleas and vacuum it afterwards.
Must read: Benefits and uses of apple cider vinegar
5. Rosemary Leaves
One more from the list of home remedies for fleas on cats is rosemary leaves. Rosemary has anti-inflammatory properties that boost the growth of fur that your pet has lost as a result of itching and flea bites. If you are looking for a safe and natural treatment for fleas, then this is best one for you.
How to Use:
· Churn a handful of rosemary leaves into a fine powder.
· Sprinkle the powder over the areas where your feline friend sleeps and plays.
· You can also prepare a rosemary leaf dip. Boil 2 cups of rosemary leaves in some water for 30 minutes.
· Remove from the heat and allow the liquid to cool until lukewarm.
· Pour the rosemary water into a basin and soak your cat in it. Additionally, make sure that you pour the liquid over your pet as well.
· Take your pet outside and let its body dry naturally in the sunlight.
Also check: Amazing uses and benefits of lavender essential oil
6. Lavender Spray
Did you think that lavender is only good for aromatherapy? You are wrong! It can actually help you in effectively and quickly getting rid of fleas from your cat and preventing infestation of these nasty pests. It also helps in soothing your cat’s skin after being bitten by fleas. Plus you get the added bonus of having a sweet-smelling pet to snuggle up with!
How to Use:
- Fill a mason jar with water and add 1 bunch of fresh lavender.
- Seal the jar tightly and allow it to sit overnight.
- The next morning, strain the lavender and pour the liquid into a spray bottle.
- Spray the lavender liquid on your cat’s coat or fur. Allow it to dry.
- Repeat this every day until your cat is completely free from fleas.
As you can see, you do not need to buy chemical-filled anti-flea powder, shampoo, etc. to get rid of pesky fleas from your pet cat. If you look around your home, you will probably find one or two ingredients that you can use to come up with effective home remedies for fleas on cats. Remember that after getting rid of fleas from your cat, you should thoroughly clean your home to make sure that there are no more infestations in the future.