How to Get Rid Of A Fever?: Fevers are a cause of grave discomfort simply because the overall functionality of one’s body reduces. It has been claimed that weather changes are a major cause for the rise in body temperature. While most people resort to a visit to their local doctor to calm the storm that comes off a fever, there are certain remedies you could try out at at the comfort of your home. The next time a fever claims you as its victim, try recalling some of the points mentioned in this post.
Causes of a fever include:
- Ear infections
- Urinary tract infections
- Certain inflammatory diseases
- Sudden change in the climate
- Unhygienic lifestyles
- Muscle aches
- Loss of appetite
Home Remedies To Get Rid Of A Fever
If you’re looking to get rid of a fever, then give these remedies a shot:
1. Apple Cider Vinegar
Apple Cider Vinegar treats just about everything in today’s time. Not only does it help your hair, skin and overall health, but it is also a highly effective remedy to rid you of a fever. The acid present in it helps to draw heat out from the body thereby reducing fever. Moreover, the minerals present in apple cider vinegar helps to replenish any minerals lost from the body during a bout of fever.
Remedies that you can try out include:
- To lukewarm bath water, add half a cup of vinegar. Soak your body in this bath for about five to ten minutes. Twenty minutes later, you will notice a reduction in your body temperature. Repeat this process when your body temperature spikes again.
- In a glass of warm water, mix two teaspoons of apple cider vinegar and a tablespoon of honey. Consume this two or three times a day.
Also read: How to Get Rid of Nausea?
Raisins make their way into this list of ridding fevers as they are loaded with phenolic phytonutrients that have antibacterial and antioxidant properties. This inevitably helps to combat infections and reduce fevers. Raisins also act as a tonic for your body which is important when you’re down with a fever.
For this remedy:
- Soak 25 raisins in half a cup of water until the raisins swell up.
- Crush the raisins in water and strain the liquid.
- To this solution, add the juice of half a lime.
- Consume this twice a day until your fever is gone.
Must read: How To Get Rid of a Headache?
Ginger is the quintessential resort for a fever. As a natural antiviral and antibacterial agent, it helps the immune system fight off any kind of infection. Ginger works well because of its ability to aid in expelling heat from the body.
Follow these remedies to get rid of a fever:
- Draw a bath for yourself and mix in two tablespoons of ginger powder . Soak in this water for about ten minutes or so. Ensure that you follow this procedure before going to bed. Cover up with a blanket. In some time, you will begin to sweat and your fever will reduce in no time.
- Make ginger tea by adding half a teaspoon of freshly grated ginger to a cup of boiling water. Allow this to steep for a few minutes. Add honey into this solution and sip on three or four times a day.
Also read: 10 Home Remedies for Knee Pain
Another remedy to get rid of a fever is garlic. Garlic works because it helps to lower body temperature by promoting sweating. This leads to the elimination of harmful toxins from the body, thereby speeding up recovery. Garlic also has added benefits, as it is both antifungal and antibacterial.
The following remedies can be followed up on:
- Mince a garlic clove and add it to a cup of boiling water. Steep this for ten minutes and strain it. Sip on this twice or thrice a day for best results.
- Another remedy you could try out is the following. Warm a mixture of two crushed garlic cloves in two tablespoons of olive oil. Apply this onto the soles of your feet, leaving a few spots uncovered. Wrap your feet in a gauze so as to keep the garlic in place and leave it on overnight.
Do keep in mind that garlic is not recommended for small children or pregnant women.
Must read: How to Get Rid of Tonsil Stones?
Basil is yet another remedy to resort to in order to get rid of fevers. Little known fact about basil is that it comprises of the same set of properties as commercial antibiotics do. When given a choice between home remedies and prescription drugs, opt for the former. The healing properties of basil reduce your body’s temperature, thereby ridding you of a fever.
Follow up on either one of the following remedies for best results
- Boil about 20 basil leaves with a teaspoon of crushed ginger along with a cup of water. Continue until the solution gets reduced to half the original quantity. To this, add honey. Consume this wonder tea two or three times a day for as long as your fever lasts.
- Make tea out of one teaspoon of basil and a quarter of a teaspoon of pepper in a cup of boiling water. Steep for about five minutes before straining. Drink this tea twice or thrice a day for best results.
Also read: How to Get Rid of a Stiff Neck?
6. Cold Water
If all else fails, or you can’t muster up the strength to whip up some tea, then nothing does the trick like plain cold water. This is a tried and tested remedy that has worked time and time again, so there really is no reason to avoid it.
There are multiple ways in which you can use cold water to get rid of a fever:
- Soak a washcloth in cool tap water and sponge out areas such as your feet, hands, and armpits. This brings down your body temperature instantly.
- You could also opt to place damp washcloths on your forehead and on the back of your neck. Change these pieces regularly after every two minutes or so.
- Another remedy entails taking a bath in lukewarm water to reduce your temperature. Taking a shower, however, might not be the best idea in the world, so refrain from doing so.
Must read: 12 Natural Laxatives For Constipation
Before you proceed to pop in those pills and antibiotics, think about what we have to say. Home remedies work exceptionally well simply because there are no repercussions that can come from natural elements. Let’s bid that fever adieu now, shall we?
Note: Please seek for medical assistance should your fever last for more than three days.