Diabetes is something which all of us have heard of. For those who don’t know, it a disorder caused by lack of insulin or ineffective use of insulin in the body. Due to this, the glucose level in the blood rises up. Some common and major side effects include frequent urination, fatigues, bruises taking longer to heal, weight loss/gain and never ending thirst and hunger. Before going through poses of yoga for diabetes cure, let’s go through types of diabetes and their common symptoms.
There are two types of diabetes – hyper-glycaemia(too much of sugar in the blood) and hypo-glycaemia (too less of sugar in the blood).
a) Hyperglycemia is somewhat related to metabolism. Metabolism of the body means the way in which our body breaks down the food into glucose and uses the energy for various life purposes. The glucose then enters the bloodstream and in due course gives our body energy. The insulin helps in keeping a check on the excessive increase of sugar levels. But when the sugar levels are too high, that’s when the condition of hyper-glycaemia arises. Another possible cause of the rise of sugar level could be the ineffectiveness of insulin in the body.
Symptoms of High Blood Glucose(Hyper-glycaemia) :
- Sugar in urine
- Frequent urination
- Frequent Thirst
- Frequent Hunger
- Weight Loss
- Poor wound healing
- Blurred vision
- Bad Breathe
B) Hypoglycemia : Hypoglycaemia is the condition where the sugar level in the body drops down below the required amounts. This is equally as harmful as the above one! A patient can even land up in coma in several cases. No wonder my grandfather always keeps chocolates in his medicine box.
Symptoms of Low Blood Glucose(Hypo-glycaemia) :
- Dilated pupils
- Abdominal discomfort
Symptoms of Diabetes (in general) :
Here are some symptoms of Diabetes in general. Go through thoroughly and keep them in mind. They might come handy sometime.
2. Blurred vision
3. Weight Loss
4. Bad breath
5. Hyper ventilation
8. Abdominal pain
9. Sugar in urine
Let’s move to our most awaited topic of the day i.e. Yoga for diabetes
Yoga For Diabetes : 10 Yoga Poses To Keep A Check On Diabetes
I’ve noticed that whenever someone is diagnosed with a disease, they immediately get medicated with some costly medicine and hope for a miracle. Unfortunately, miracles don’t always happen, not to everyone. But fortunately, diabetes can be combated rightfully by regular exercise or yoga. No amount of medication can help cure diabetes like physical exertion does. Here is a couple of yoga poses from which you can choose to curb your diabetes. You need not do all of these. Just doing any of these would serve the purpose.
1. Pranayama (Breathing) : Pranayamas are a form of yoga, which is done mainly by sitting down in the Lotus Pose and a lot of breathing. During pranayama, a lot of exercise is done with the variations in breathing. This helps a lot in combating the sugar levels in the body. Some of the most common pranayams are – Kapalbhati, Anulom Vilom, Bhastrika and Narishodan pranayama.
2. Bridge Pose (Setu Bandha Sarvangasana) : In order to do this, lie on the floor or on a mat. Place your hands by your side in such a manner that the palm touches the ground. Slowly raise the body from the hips region upwards. Hold the pose for a while.
3. Child Pose (Balasana) : Sit in vajrasan on the floor. Bend forward and try touching the floor with your nose while placing your palm on the floor. Hold the pose for a while.
Also read : 14 Yoga Asanas To Reduce Stress
4. Diamond Pose (Vajrasana) : To do vajrasana, sit on the floor. Fold your legs in such a manner that your heel touches your buttocks. Hold the pose for a while.
Also read : Amazing Benefits Of Vajrasana
5. Shoulder Stand(Salamba Sarvangasana): Lift your body slowly. You might not attain the perfect shoulder stand but keep on trying and you will achieve excellence. And remember to bring down your legs slowly and not with a jerk. This pose also helps to get a glowing skin because of the blood gushing into your face.
Also read : 15 Powerful Yoga Asanas To Get Rid Of Belly Fat
6. Plow Pose(Halasana) : Lie on the floor. Slowly raise both your legs and touch the ground behind your head. Hold the pose. You may hold your back as a support.
Must read : 7 Yoga Poses For Attaining Your Dream Buttocks
7. Bow Pose (Dhanurasana) : Lie on your stomach on the floor. Arc your hands backwards and hold the feet. Try pulling yourself backwards. By doing this you can feel the stretch in your arms, stomach and legs. This pose helps in digestion.
Must read : 8 Powerful Yoga Asanas To Boost Your Stamina
8. Lord of the Dance Pose (Natrajasana) : In order to do this pose, stand on a mat or on the ground. Lift a particular leg and hold it with the respective hand position as shown in the figure. Stretch out the other hand and keep it in chin mudra/or spread it out. Hold the pose for some time and then repeat these steps with the other leg.
Must read : Yoga Asanas To Increase Memory Power
9. Spinal Twist Pose (Ardha-Matsyendrasana) : Cross your right leg over the left and place it just beside the left thigh. Hold your left knee with your right hand. Look back from the left side.
Must read : Yoga To Increase Height Naturally
10. Sun Salutation (Surya Namaskar) : We have already told you about Surya Namaskar/Sun Salutation. Read about benefits of Surya Namaskar and How to do Surya Namaskar?.
#Let us learn some facts about Diabetes before leaving.
These are some facts about diabetes. I’m sure you must be knowing some of these of you have any diabetic patient in the family. Have a glance.
1. It is hereditary.
2. The rise in diabetic patients is due to overweight, obesity and physical inactivity.
3. Deaths due to diabetes will rise by more than 50% in the next 10 years.
4. There are 2 types of diabetes – Type 1, which is caused by lack of insulin and 10% of the diabetic population suffers from Type 1 diabetes. While Type 2 is caused by ineffective use of insulin in the body.
5. Recent study reveals that Type 2 diabetes is found in children and adolescents.
6. Hyperglycaemia hits women during pregnancy (sometimes).
7. Death due to diabetes is due to contradicting diseases like heart diseases or kidney stones.
8. Most of the diabetes is noticed in low or middle income families.
9. Sometimes, diabetic patient can lose eyesight.
10. Diabetes can’t be eradicated from the system, but it can be controlled through cardiovascular exercise or yoga poses.
Must read : Exercises To Get Rid Of Flabby Arms
That would all from us on ‘Yoga for Diabetes‘. Do you know about any other pose(preferably simple)? Do let us know down below. Thank You