How to Get Rid of Garlic Smell?: Have you ever passed up on a delicious dish simply because you did not want garlic breath? You are not the only one. Many people avoid garlic because of the lingering smell. So what gives it its distinct taste and odor? It is the cysteine sulfoxide it produces. The sulfuric compounds that garlic produces are similar to bacteria-produced compounds that cause bad breath. The worst thing about garlic smell is that it can stay in your lungs for 24 to 48 hours after consumption! But the benefits garlic has to offer you are far too many, so avoiding it completely is not advisable either. Luckily, there are home remedies that can help you get rid of garlic smell smell from your hands and breath.
6 Foolproof Tricks to Get Rid of Garlic Smell Off Your Hands and Breath
Here is a look at some of the best home remedies to get rid of garlic smell:
When it comes to getting rid of the strong odor of garlic, lemon is one of the best remedies. The citric acid it contains neutralizes the enzymes produced by garlic, thereby eliminating the lingering smell. Additionally, it helps in lowering the pH balance of the skin, making it difficult for compounds that produce odor to stay in the body.
How to Use:
- Mix 1 tablespoon of lemon juice and 1 cup of water.
- Rinse your mouth thoroughly with the solution to reduce the odor of garlic.
- You can also sip a glass of fresh lemon juice after you have eaten something with a strong garlic flavor.
- To get rid of garlic smell from your hands, rub them with lemon juice or a lemon rind.
2. Stainless Steel
Although it may sound a little odd, stainless steel is one of the most effective ways to eliminate the smell of garlic from your mouth and hands. When the skin comes into contact with anything made of iron, the iron atoms gain two electrons through perspiration on the skin. The atoms then react with oil in the skin, which leads to their decomposition. This in turn neutralizes the odor. It might sound strange but if you want to get rid of garlic smell quickly, it’s best to use stainless steel.
How to Use:
- Rub your hands on a surface made of stainless steel for a few minutes and then rinse your hands with water. You will notice the garlic odor completely gone.
- For garlic breath, run a stainless steel spoon or any other small object around the inside of your mouth, including the sides and your tongue. Rinse your mouth with water and voila! The garlic smell is gone!
As you may already know, milk has loads of goodness in it. But did you know that it is also effective in eliminating garlic breath? Research shows that milk can help in keeping out malodorous breath after you have eaten food with a lot of garlic. Whole and fat-free milk can lower the concentration of volatile compounds that emit a garlic odor in the nose and mouth. The study found that whole milk is more effective because its fat content is higher.
How to Use:
- All you have to do is drink 1 glass of milk after a garlic-rich meal to reduce garlic breath.
4. Mint Leaves
These delicious leaves have a powerful deodorizing effect on volatile compounds that garlic contains. The chlorophyll in mint is helpful for masking the smell of garlic. Plus, it has mild antiseptic properties that help in reducing bad breath that is caused by bacteria.
How to Use:
- Grab a few fresh mint leaves and chew on them. You will have minty fresh breath in minutes.
- Mint tea is also effective for fighting garlic breath. Make the tea by adding 1 tablespoon of freshly crushed mint leaves to 1 cup of hot water. Cover and let it steep for 10 minutes and then strain. Drink the mint tea to get rid of the awful smell. You can add a little honey to the tea if you like.
- To get rid of garlic smell from your hands, crush fresh mint leaves and rub the juice on your hands.
Like mint, parsley is a superb herb for getting rid of the long-lasting smell of garlic from your mouth and hands. It contains high amounts of chlorophyll that effectively absorbs odors. Parsley has anti-bacterial, anti-inflammatory and antitoxic effects that help eliminate garlic odor off your mouth, as well as body odor resulting from consumption of garlic.
How to Use:
- Simply chew on some fresh parsley leaves to eliminate garlic breath.
- Parsley tea is also excellent to get rid of garlic breath. Get some coarsely chopped parsley leaves and let it steep in 2 cups of hot water for about 10 minutes. Strain and let it cool before you sip on the tea.
- If your hands smell of garlic, take some fresh parsley leaves and crush them between your fingers. After crushing the leaves, wash your hands with water and you will have fresh-smelling hands.
6. Baking Soda
No matter what type of odor it is, you can bet that baking soda will work well to bid goodbye to it. This includes garlic odor. It inhibits the growth of bacteria and also balances the pH in your mouth. It neutralizes the smell of garlic in your mouth as well as on your hands.
How to Use:
- Mix 1 teaspoon of baking soda and sea salt in 1 glass of warm water. Rinse your mouth with the solution once or twice.
- For your hands, make a mixture of 1 tablespoon of baking soda and lemon juice and apply it on your hands. Leave it on for a few minutes and wash off with water.
- Sprinkling a bit of baking soda on your palms and rubbing them together for 1 minute before washing them get rid of garlic smell from your hands.
Garlic is delicious and healthy, making it a must for your diet. You do not have to worry about garlic breath or its odor on your hands when you have home remedies that can help you effectively and quickly get rid of it. Try these today to get rid of garlic smell off your hands and breath.