How to Get Rid of Folliculitis?: We all envy people with flawlessly soft, bright and blemish-free skin, don’t we? One of the common skin problems that people struggle with is folliculitis – a condition in which the hair follicles get inflamed or infected. Folliculitis usually affects areas where there is friction, such as the neck, armpits, buttocks, and thighs. Folliculitis is not a serious problem, but it can be painful, irritating and embarrassing. The good news is that you can get rid of folliculitis with home remedies that will relieve the symptoms and quicken the healing process.
Discover Top 6 Home Remedies Used to Get Rid of Folliculitis
Here are some of the best home remedies for folliculitis:
1. Coconut oil
Coconut oil is one of the best remedies for a number of skin conditions. It has amazing antibacterial and antifungal properties that can get rid of folliculitis from the root and prevent it from recurring. Additionally, it helps combat inflammation and bring down the redness that accompanies the condition. It is also a great natural moisturizer and promotes healthy skin.
How to Use:
- Apply or rub pure coconut oil to the affected areas 3 times a day.
- You can also mix 1 teaspoon of virgin coconut oil and 1/2 teaspoon of turmeric to form a paste.
- Apply the paste on the affected areas and leave it on for 30 minutes.
- Rinse it off thoroughly with lukewarm water.
- Repeat 2 times daily for best results.
For centuries, neem has been used to treat a variety of skin issues due to its medicinal properties. It has antifungal and antiseptic properties that make it a very effective natural remedy for folliculitis. Also known as Indian lilac, neem can kill the bacteria that causes this condition and ease symptoms like pain, inflammation and severe itching.
How to Use:
- Grind a handful of neem leaves to form a paste.
- Apply the paste on the affected area and leave on for 30 minutes.
- Rinse off thoroughly and pat dry.
- Follow the remedy a few times a day.
- You can also mix a few drops of neem oil with 1 tablespoon of coconut oil.
- Apply the mixture on the affected area and leave it on for 20 minutes before rinsing off.
- Repeat 2 to 3 times a day.
Known for its antibacterial properties, garlic is a potent natural remedy for many skin conditions, including folliculitis. It contains allicin which are sulfur compounds that have antibacterial as well as antiviral properties. Garlic also contains Vitamin C and other inflammatory compounds that inhibit lipoxygenase and cyclooxygenase, which are enzymes that contribute to inflammation.
How to Use:
- Eat 3 to 4 fresh garlic cloves a day. It will not only help get rid of folliculitis but also provide many benefits for your overall health.
- You can also swallow 1 or 2 cloves of garlic every morning on an empty stomach.
- For a higher potency, you can also use garlic supplementation capsules.
When it comes to natural treatments for folliculitis, turmeric is one of the most effective. It is a potent natural antibiotic that works against one of the main causes of this condition, staph bacteria. It also contains curcumin, an anti-inflammatory compound that helps in reducing swelling, pain, redness and itching. There are many ways to use turmeric to get rid of folliculitis internally and externally and killing fungal and bacterial growth in the hair follicles.
How to Use:
- For topical use, form a paste by mixing 1/2 teaspoon of turmeric and olive or coconut oil.
- Apply it on the affected areas and leave it on for 1 to 2 hours.
- Next, rinse off the paste and apply it again.
- Repeat this until the infection is gone.
- For internal use, drink a glass of warm milk with 1 teaspoon of turmeric powder 2 times a day.
- You can also take turmeric supplements. Consult your doctor before doing so to get the proper dosage.
Related: 10 DIY Homemade Facial Scrubs
5. Apple Cider Vinegar
This is one of the best home remedies for a number of different health and skin conditions, including folliculitis. It is easy to obtain and use, and is inexpensive, making it an ideal natural treatment for the condition. Apple cider vinegar contains antiseptic, antibacterial and antiviral properties which makes it a potent remedy that can deal with the root cause of folliculitis. It also works effectively in reducing itching and inflammation.
How to Use:
- For topical use, mix 1 part of raw, unfiltered ACV with 2 parts of lukewarm water.
- Apply the solution on the affected areas using a cotton ball.
- Allow it to sit for about 10 minutes before rinsing it off.
- Apply coconut oil to moisturize the area.
- For internal use, mix 1 to 2 teaspoons of raw, unfiltered ACV in 1 glass of lukewarm water and drink 1 to 2 times a day.
Related: How to get rid of razor bumps?
6. Tea Tree Oil
This is another powerful natural remedy for folliculitis and many other skin disorders. Its antiseptic and antibacterial properties help in clearing up the infection faster when used regularly. A natural germicide, tea tree oil is effective in disrupting the permeability barrier of cell-membrane structures of the microbes that cause disease. This essential oil is also helps in reducing the itchiness and redness that comes with folliculitis.
How to Use:
- Mix 5 drops of tea tree oil with 2 to 3 tablespoons of coconut or olive oil.
- Massage the mixture on the affected areas and allow it to sit for 1 to 2 hours.
- Rinse off thoroughly.
- Use this remedy once a day until the folliculitis is gone.
- You can also put 1 or 2 drops of tea tree oil on a moistened cotton ball or swab.
- Dab it gently on the affected area.
- Leave it on for 1 hour and then rinse off with cool water.
- Repeat 2 times a day.
Related: How to get rid of ingrown hairs?
While it is not a serious skin disorder, folliculitis can be painful, itchy, inflamed and tender and leave pus-filled bumps and redness on your skin. All this can make you feel uncomfortable, self-conscious and embarrassed. But you do not have to put up with it for long. With the home remedies mentioned above, you can get rid of folliculitis and walk with confidence with your fresh, healthy and blemish-free skin.