Waxing vs shaving; Which One Is Better and Why? this is an age old debate that has seen no winner! Waxing is somewhat painful while shaving on the other hand is slightly risky, but rather painless. Many women do not mind the nicks and cuts that are part and parcel of shaving. Yes, shaving is painless, less messy, and certainly less expensive. That being said, waxing has myriad benefits over shaving in the long run. Read on to more on waxing, shaving, and yes which is better and why!
- How It Works: Hot wax is applied to the region you wish to wax and removed in the opposite direction of the hair growth rather swiftly. Yes, it will hurt but it will pull the hair out from the roots.
- Best Suited For: You can wax your legs, arms, under arms legs and even bikini areas. Those who have coarse, dark and stubborn hair too will benefit from waxing.
- Pros: Removes hair from the roots and keeps your skin smooth and hair free for at least three weeks. You can enjoy smooth skin with waxing for as many as six weeks depending on the thickness and type of hair.
- Cons: You need to wait for your hair to regrow to wax again. This is because the wax needs at least a quarter inch of stubble to be able to grasp and pull it out.
The treatment or procedure can be painful at times as the hair is ripped out at the roots. Waxing can also cause ingrown hairs in many women.
- Average Cost: You will spend anywhere between $30-100 for salon waxing. The cost will vary depending on the salon and the areas you wish to get waxed.
- Statutory Warning: Do not drink and wax! If you think a peg of alcohol will ease the pain, you are mistaken. Alcohol will tighten your pores and make the whole experience more painful and nightmarish. Instead, choose good quality wax. The better the wax, the less painful the experience will be.
- How It Works: Needs no explanation, does it? Yes, shaving removes hair at the skin’s surface. You simply cut the hair visible with a razor!
- Best Suited For: Legs, arms, and underarms. If you have lighter and finer hair, you can hope for better results with shaving. Do not attempt a bikini hair removal with razor!
- Pros: Quick and easy. Shaving is also, inexpensive and rather painless. Shaving creams make the process all the more easier as it moisturizes the skin and keeps it soft.
- Cons: Hair regrowth is very quick as it is cut at the surface. The regrowth is also blunt and may appear thicker.
Cuts, nicks and razor burns go hand in hand with shaving. You will also be prone to ingrown hairs.
- Average Cost: Razors and shaving cream are very inexpensive and can be bought at any pharma or grocers.
Also read: How to Get Rid of Razor Bumps?
Waxing vs Shaving; Which One is Better For Hair Removal and Why?
Waxing, it’s a term with which everyone is familiar with. So is shaving. While waxing your hands and feet at a salon is the best bet, you can try it at home too. Your first try may be terrifying and you might find it hard to get yourself to rip your own hair off. But, with time, you will master the technique and find it a lot easier to do.
So, how do you wax your hair at home?
Do not wait until your legs begin to look ghastly. The hi-tech wax formulas available today can pick up hair as short as two millimeters!
The very first step to a clean and smooth waxing session is to prep your skin properly. Exfoliate your skin at least 24 hours before you plan to wax, or you may have to deal with skin irritation. You can use a loofah or scrub to slough off that layer of dead skin. This will help the wax you use, to grip the hair better.
Once you are ready to go, wash your legs and hands with a gentle soap and a splash of water. Pat dry and allow it to dry thoroughly. Now, you are ready to do the thing! Apply the wax of your choice in the same direction as hair growth, then place a wax strip on top. Use a little pressure and press the strip down firmly.
Now here comes the tricky part! You have to hold your skin really taut with one hand, and use the other to pull the strip off in the opposite direction of hair growth. You will have to ensure that you pull across as close as possible to the skin and not away from it. Once you have managed to remove the strip, apply a little pressure in order to ease and alleviate any pain or discomfort. If you are tackling a difficult patch of skin, like your underarms, get the help of a friend to do wax.
Do not forget to pamper your skin after a waxing session. While experts suggest azulene oil, as it arrests irritation and redness, you may also apply some aloe gel to soothe the redness.
Also read : Yoga to Reduce Hair Fall
Shaving, on the other hand is a pretty painless technique of hair removal. Simply lather your skin with soap or a shaving cream suitable for your skin type and shave the area with a clean, sterile razor. However, nicks and cuts go hand in hand with shaving. And, regular shaving can darken the area by several shades. This is why you will find your underarms much darker than the other parts of your body, especially if you shave them regularly! There are several razors on the market made especially for women. They glide on the skin, without cutting your skin. However, unlike waxing, the regrowth of hair is rather quick and also stubbly.
It is obvious from the above discussion that waxing is much better than shaving. No wonder women across the globe, opt for this method of hair removal. Let us dig up deep into it and discuss more about the advantages of waxing over shaving.
Also read : Egg White Hair Masks
Why You Should Go For Waxing Over Shaving? / Waxing Vs Shaving
1. Waxing removes dead cells
When you wax your legs and hands, not only do get rid of unwanted hair, but you will also exfoliate the skin. The wax helps slough away dead skin cells, revealing soft and smooth skin in barely minutes. We all know how important it is to exfoliate regularly, and yet many of us simply do not have the time to do so. While some women do exfoliate their face, the hands and legs are often neglected. When you wax your hands and legs, you will also be getting rid of dead cells from different parts of your body. This will make your skin look and feel more beautiful and pampered.
Must read : 10 Most Magical Homemade Facial Scrubs
2. It is Faster
The process of hair removal from awkward places can get tricky when you try out other means. For instance, when you have to run a razor past your underarms or bikini line, you have to be very careful. A slight change in the razor angle may lead to unwanted cuts. So it’s easier to opt for waxing that ensures better, quicker and safer hair removal. And that guys, was #Reason2 why you should go for waxing when it comes to waxing vs shaving.
Also read : How to Get Rid of Ingrown Hairs?
3. Available everywhere
You can get your hands and legs waxed at a parlor and salon or even at home. Even the smallest of parlors today offer waxing facilities. Waxing can be done in two ways, either the usual way wherein you apply molten wax or by using ready-made wax strips. So, what is a wax strip? Wax strips are a boon to women all over the world! It is a very convenient method for all those who can’t visit a salon on a regular basis. All you have to do is take the strip, apply it to the area to be waxed and pull it off. Voila, your legs and feet are rid of hair! The best part is that wax strips are available at most departmental stores. #Reason3 why you should go for waxing in waxing vs shaving!
Must read : Home Remedies To Make Hands Soft
4. You wont cut yourself with pieces of metal
This is perhaps the Numero Uno reason why most women prefer waxing over shaving. Shaving calls for cuts and nicks, and requires a great deal of precision and control over the razor. An unwanted and untimely cut on your neck or some other visible body part can be a real dampener. Besides, a cut in sensitive areas such as the groin can lead to excruciating pain, discomfort and also infections. On the other hand, waxing is proven to be way safer than shaving. Yes, you may feel pain when your hairs are pulled out, but it is only momentary as it usually vanishes within a day. #Reason4 why you should go for waxing in waxing vs shaving.
Also read : Natural Remedies To Get Rid Of Dark Underarms
5. Long lasting
Not sure if you should choose between waxing vs shaving? We suggest you go in for waxing. When you wax a particular part of your body, the hair gets ruthlessly uprooted. So it takes quite some time for hair to regrow in that region, thus making waxing long lasting. #Reason5 why you should go for waxing in waxing vs shaving.
Must read : How to Get Rid of Vaginal Odor?
6. Time heals all pains
Do you remember the first time you got your eyebrows plucked? That brings back some not so pleasant memories, does it not? The same is the case with waxing. For the first time, it may hurt really bad, and you may vow to never step into a salon again. But, in the long run, you will get used to the pain. #Reason6 why you should go for waxing in waxing vs shaving.
Also read : Yoga To Get a Glowing Skin Naturally
7. In the long run, hair might cease to grow
When you wax a particular region repeatedly, over time the hair growth in the region reduces. This is because the hair follicles in the area gets damaged. So the hair that comes out is less healthy and comparatively thinner because it’s roots are weakened. So, if you wax regularly, you will see less hair growth in the region, which could be a huge plus! So, no more having to run to the salon every 15 days! #Reason7 why you should go for waxing in waxing vs shaving.
Must read : 13 Foods For Healthy And Beautiful Hair
8. Smoother skin
Waxing vs shaving? Which is better? If you are looking for smoother skin? Waxing gets a point! When your skin is waxed the dead skin cells in the area are also exfoliated. This means your skin is softer to touch and feel. Hi-tech waxes also contain moisturizing lotion which leaves your skin baby soft. Bid goodbye to dry skin, and welcome soft and smooth skin with waxing! #Reason8 why you should go for waxing in waxing vs shaving.
Also read : 10 Homemade Foot Scrub And Soaks
9. Hair grows back slower and thinner
From the picture above, you should be able to see the difference between waxing and shaving. Shaving, like we have already discussed, makes the regrowth thicker! You will also notice your hair growing back almost from the very next day! This means you will need to shave your legs and hands, almost every three days. On the other hand, during waxing, the force with which the hair is pulled out is immense, so it actually ruptures the hair follicle. Thus, when the hair regrows it’s less healthier and takes time to grow back. #Reason9 why you should go for waxing in waxing vs shaving.
Must read : Home Remedies For Oily Skin Treatment
10. Best for ‘some’ areas
Just about every woman hopes that she does not have to deal with hair in the groin! If you are looking for a simple yet effective way to get rid of hair in the groin region? Waxing is hands down the best way to get rid of unwanted hair around the groin. Since waxing ruptures the hair follicle. Like we already have discussed an umpteen number of times, the hair that regrows after waxing, is thinner and takes longer to resurface. #Reason10 why you should go for waxing in waxing vs shaving.
Also read : 19 Uses Of Glycerin For Skin
Tips to make Waxing a Lot Less Painful
- Pick the right wax. If you have sensitive skin, pick a wax that is clinically tested or simply go with an aloe based variant.
- Exfoliate before you wax as it softens the hair and also opens up the hair follicles, making the whole process a lot less painful.
- Make sure your hair length is between 1/4 and 3/4 inch in length for best results.
- Pop in a painkiller about half an hour before waxing, if your pain threshold is low. You can also use a numbing cream on the area you will be waxing.
- Do not apply moisturizers or use a deo the day you plan to wax. Oil or moisture will impede the wax from sticking to the hair.
- Heat the wax to the right temperature. If it is too cold, it will not spread. And, if it is too hot it will scald your skin.
- Apply wax on the right direction. Grit your teeth and rip off.
- Wipe the area clean with cold water. Hot water will only hurt!
- Do not keep going over the same patch. Use a tweezer to get rid of stubborn hair.
- Put your soothing lotion in the refrigerator the day before and use after waxing. It will calm your skin. Alternatively, you can also try a cold compress.
- Avoid tight clothing, exposure to sunlight, and scented lotions soon after waxing.
- Avoid waxing just before or during your menses as you will be super sensitive during that time of the month.
- Do not sit upright while getting your eyebrows waxed.
- If you are waxing at home, have something to distract you. This could be soothing music in the background while you wax.
- Do not apply hot wax to your bikini area.
Must read: How to Get Thicker Hair Naturally?
That should answer all your doubts on whether you should be Waxing or Shaving! If you have further doubts, tips or suggestions, we warmly welcome you to share them with us here in HNBT. Thank you!