How to Get Rid of Perioral Dermatitis?: Do you have a rash around your mouth and chin area? Chances are that it is perioral dermatitis, a type of facial rash that can also appear, although rarely, around the eyes and on the forehead. The exact cause of this skin condition is still unknown, but experts believe that certain creams or lotions that have a paraffin base or petrolatum or topical steroid creams may result in the appearance of this rash. You can get rid of perioral dermatitis with simple home remedies that work wonders in alleviating symptoms, including red bumps, itching, burning sensation, bumps with pus or fluids, etc., and also preventing the condition from getting worse.
10 Kitchen Ingredients That You Can Use to Get Rid of Perioral Dermatitis
Here is a look at the best home remedies for perioral dermatitis:
1. Aloe Vera
Aloe vera has antimicrobial and anti-inflammatory compounds that make it one of the best natural remedies for many different skin conditions, including perioral dermatitis. Its natural compounds help in soothing the irritation and inflammation that accompanies this rash. Aloe vera not only soothes your skin, but also restores its pH balance, preventing breakouts of the rash.
- Extract fresh gel from an aloe vera plant.
- Apply a thick layer on the affected area and leave it on until it dries.
- Do this 2 to 3 times a day for a few weeks or until you see an improvement.
2. Apple Cider Vinegar
You have probably seen apple cider vinegar as an ingredient in home remedies for treating various skin conditions. So it should be no surprise to find that it works incredibly well to get rid of perioral dermatitis. It works against bacteria, viruses and fungi to deal with the root cause of the condition. It also has anti-inflammatory properties that relieve pain and blotchy, inflamed red skin.
- Mix equal amounts of raw, unfiltered apple cider vinegar and mineral water.
- Apply the solution gently on the affected area with a cotton ball.
- Leave it on for 20 minutes and rinse off.
- Moisturize your skin with jojoba or olive oil.
- Follow this remedy 2 to 3 times daily for at least 1 to 2 weeks.
- Heal your skin from the inside by drinking a glass of lukewarm water mixed with 1 to 2 teaspoons of raw, unfiltered apple cider vinegar. Drink this solution 1 to 2 times every day.
- Note: If you have very sensitive skin, add more mineral water to make the ACV more diluted before using it on your skin.
3. Plain Yogurt
Yogurt is an effective ingredient to naturally treat perioral dermatitis. When combined with gram flour, it soothes the inflammation, irritation, and the itching sensation as well. You need to use plain yogurt as it does not contain sweeteners or additives.
- Mix 1 tablespoon of gram flour and 3 to 4 tablespoons of plain yogurt to form a paste.
- Apply a thick layer of it all over your facial skin.
- If you prefer, you can also apply just the yogurt to relieve irritation and redness.
- Leave it on for 20 to 30 minutes.
- Do this 2 times a day for a few weeks until you see results.
- Eat yogurt with live and active cultures regular basis to fight the condition from the inside and help your immune system combat microbes.
Oatmeal is effective in relieving itching and burning sensations that come with the rashes caused by perioral dermatitis. It alleviates skin inflammation and irritation, thanks to its anti-inflammatory and soothing properties. Oatmeal also helps in moisturizing the skin, which in turn helps in speeding up the healing process.
- Make a paste by mixing ½ cup of finely ground oatmeal and water.
- Apply the paste on the affected area or all over your face.
- Leave on for 15 to 20 minutes and rinse off with cool water.
- Follow this remedy 1 to 2 times a day until the rash is gone.
- Or, mix equal amounts of oatmeal and plain yogurt and 1 teaspoon of honey.
- Apply the paste on your face.
- Leave it on for 30 minutes or so and then rinse off with cool water.
- Use this paste once every day until the rash improves.
5. Coconut Oil
Coconut oil contains certain compounds that make it an effective treatment to get rid of perioral dermatitis. It has antimicrobial compounds that moisturize the skin, which in turn prevents dryness and scaling of the skin that comes with the condition. This is a simple remedy that works wonders in treating this embarrassing and sometimes painful skin rash.
- Apply organic coconut oil on your skin and massage gently for about 10 minutes.
- Leave it on so that your skin absorbs all its goodness.
- Do this once every day, preferably before going to bed, and you will notice visible results within a fortnight.
6. Grapefruit Seed Extract
Grapefruit seed extract is another great ingredient that effectively treats perioral dermatitis. It works as a great cleansing agent and helps in clearing bacteria and toxins on the skin. Grapefruit contains Vitamin C, a powerful antioxidant that has many benefits on skin and it has antibacterial compounds that help in preventing skin irritations caused by this skin condition. Keep in mind that this remedy might cause itchiness or irritation when you first use it, but it subsides after a few minutes.
- Take 1 tablespoon of water and add a few drops of grapefruit seed extract and mix well.
- Soak a cotton ball with the mixture and dab it on the affected area.
- Leave it on for 15 to 20 minutes and then rinse off with water.
- Repeat 2 or 3 times daily until you the rash is gone.
- You can also take a grapefruit seed extract supplement. However, make sure to consult a doctor to get the correct dosage.
7. Calendula Essential Oil
A number of skin conditions can be effectively treated with Calendula essential oil, especially those that are fungal in nature. The oil has anti-inflammatory and healing properties that get rid of perioral dermatitis and speed up the healing process. When mixed with olive oil, this essential oil helps in moisturizing and nourishing your skin and relieving itchiness caused by the rash.
- Mix 1 tablespoon of olive oil with 3 to 4 drops of Calendula essential oil in a bowl.
- Soak a cotton oil in the oil blend and apply it all over the affected area.
- Leave it on for as long as you can to let it works its magic on your skin.
- Use the remedy 3 times a day and you will see an improvement in 2 to 3 days.
- Repeat for 1 week or until the rash is completely gone.
Turmeric has powerful anti-inflammatory and medicinal properties that make it make it amazing to get rid of perioral dermatitis. It has been used for centuries to treat a wide range of skin ailments. Its anti-inflammatory properties reduce itching and inflammation while its antiseptic properties help in reducing the risk of infections and recurrence of the rashes.
- Form a paste by mixing turmeric powder with a bit of honey or water.
- Apply it all over the affected area.
- Leave it on for 15 to 20 minutes and then rinse off with water.
- Repeat 2 to 3 times a day until you get visible results.
9. Manuka Honey
Manuka honey contains a high amount of antioxidants and nutrients that help in calming and healing inflamed skin and the painful rashes that come with perioral dermatitis. It also has hydrogen peroxide which speeds up the healing process and regenerates the skin. Honey also moisturizes the skin, making it nourished and soft.
- Apply Manuka honey on the affected area.
- Leave it on for as long as you can, preferably overnight.
- Do this every night for 2 weeks or longer until your rash goes away.
10. Evening Primrose Oil
The skin-healing properties of evening primrose oil makes it a very effective natural treatment for perioral dermatitis and other skin conditions. It contains a high amount of gamma linoleic acid and EFAs which have huge benefits for the skin. When used topically, evening primrose oil soothes and heals itching and irritated skin.
- Apply evening primrose oil on the affected area.
- Leave it on, preferably overnight.
- Repeat every day until your condition improves.
Natural remedies are best when you have perioral dermatitis as they are natural and safe. The cause of the condition could be your use of cosmetic creams in the first place, so treating it with natural ingredients will help soothe and heal the rash and relieve inflamed skin. Keep in mind that home remedies take some time to work so you need to be patient, but once they work, not only do they get rid of perioral dermatitis, but also prevent it from recurring.