Home Remedies for Heavy Periods: If you have heavy bleeding during your menstrual period, it is known as menorrhagia. If you menstruate for more than a week and need to change your sanitary napkin every hour during your period, it can be said that you are having heavy periods. The most common causes of this problem are hormonal imbalance during adolescence, uterine fibroids and menopause. Almost every woman experiences this at some point or another and if it happens once in a while, it is rarely a cause of concern. However, if you have heavy periods during every menstrual cycle, you should immediately see a doctor. You can also follow a few home remedies for heavy periods that alleviate the symptoms and treat the problem.
7 Natural Home Remedies for Heavy Periods
Here is a look at some of the best home remedies for heavy periods.
1. Cold Compress
This is the easiest remedy for heavy menstrual bleeding. A cold compress is extremely effective as it helps in constricting the blood vessels. This in turn decreases the blood flow significantly and reduces pain in the abdomen, which can often come with heavy periods. You should try this remedy if you experience heavy periods regularly.
- Wrap a few ice cubes in a cloth or towel and tie it up.
- Lay down and then place the compress on your abdomen for about 15 minutes.
- If the symptoms persist, repeat after 4 hours.
- Do this daily to help with the symptoms of heavy periods until your cycle is over.
Ginger has powerful medicinal properties that make it an excellent natural remedy for a wide range of health problems, including heavy menstrual bleeding. Its anti-inflammatory and analgesic properties help in easing abdominal cramps while its antioxidant properties eliminate harmful toxins from the body and reduce excessive bleeding during periods.
- First, grate 1 big piece of fresh ginger.
- Add it to 1 cup of water and boil.
- Let it simmer for 5 minutes and then strain.
- Drink the tea 3 times a day on a regular basis.
- You can add ½ or 1 teaspoon of honey if you like.
As you know, garlic is known for its powerful curative and healing powers. It is no surprise that it is one of the most popular home remedies for heavy periods. It contains a potent antioxidant, allicin, which helps in maintaining the hormonal balance in the body. Garlic also effectively dissolves polyps and fibroids and regulates menstrual bleeding. It is also known to improve overall health and keeps the body functioning properly.
- Swallow 5 finely chopped cloves of garlic with 1 glass of warm water every morning.
- Repeat this daily until your menstrual cycle is over.
- You will notice an improvement in your condition when you follow this remedy on a regular basis.
This is another superb natural remedy for heavy periods. Similar to the other home remedies for heavy periods, cinnamon is known to be extremely effective in treating a number of ailments and conditions related to blood. It helps in regulating and normalizing blood flow when consumed during menstrual periods.
- Add 1 stick of cinnamon to 200 ml of boiling water.
- Let it boil for 5 to 7 minutes.
- Remove the stick and drink the tea while warm.
- Drink cinnamon tea 2 times a day during your period to stop excessive bleeding.
5. Mustard Seeds
For centuries, mustard seeds have been used for their unique healing properties to treat a variety of ailments. They provide omega-3 fatty acids, which help in maintaining hormonal balance in the body and also reducing estrogen levels. Mustard seeds also have anti-inflammatory and antioxidant properties that alleviate heavy blood flow and help in maintaining the health of the uterus. This is a great remedy you should try out if you have heavy periods on a regular basis.
- Grind some mustard seeds to form a fine powder.
- Take ½ a teaspoon of the powder and add it to ½ a cup of curd or plain yogurt.
- Add a pinch of salt and mix well.
- Eat the mixture 2 times daily.
- Repeat every day during your menstrual cycle.
6. Apple Cider Vinegar
When it comes to home remedies for heavy periods, you cannot leave apple cider vinegar out. It is actually known to be extremely effective for many different health problems, from allergies to digestive issues to skin conditions, so it is of no surprise that it treats heavy periods too. Apple cider vinegar detoxifies your body to help in balancing your hormones. It is also excellent for relieving headaches, irritation, cramps, and fatigue.
- Mix 1 to 2 teaspoons of apple cider vinegar in ½ or 1 glass of water.
- Drink the solution 3 times a day during your menstrual cycle.
- You will notice a significant relief in the symptoms of heavy menstrual bleeding by following this remedy.
7. Cayenne Pepper
An ingredient that works incredibly well to help with heavy flow of period is cayenne pepper. It is known to be highly effective in balancing blood flow as well as the hormones in your body. This, in turn, can help you relieve the symptoms of the problem and make you feel better in no time. Cayenne pepper is a great natural remedy because it can help treat a wide range of problems, even the difficult ones like scabies. This is definitely a remedy to try if you suffer from heavy menstrual bleeding.
- Mix ½ a teaspoon of cayenne pepper in some warm water.
- Add a bit of honey and stir well.
- Drink the solution 2 to 3 times a day during your menstrual cycle.
- Do this every time you have your period to alleviate symptoms and treat the issue.
As you can see, there are quite a few home remedies for heavy periods that you can try. They all work very well. All you need to do is pick one that works best for you. You can do research and find others as well. Once you find the right remedy, you can get relief from symptoms, like painful cramps, fatigue, weakness, etc., and help in treating the problem.