How to Get Rid of Mold Allergies?: If there is a warm, humid and damp area, it is more than likely that mold is present. It is a type of fungus that grows in filaments and reproduces through spores. The problem is that mold and mildew can cause allergies when the spores make their way to people’s noses, resulting in symptoms like fatigue, sneezing and itchy eyes. The good news is that mold allergies can be treated with a number of simple home remedies with ingredients that are probably already available in your home.
6 Home Remedies to Get Rid of Mold Allergies & Prevent Its Recurrence
Here is a look at some of the best home remedies to help you get rid of mold allergies:
One of the most potent antifungal herbs, garlic is great to treat and prevent mold allergies. It is also rich in a natural antihistamine called quercetin that can help in reducing the severity of symptoms after you have been exposed to mold. Garlic also boosts immunity, which is important for fighting the symptoms of an allergy.
How to Use:
- Chop 3 or 4 garlic cloves and boil in 1 cup of water for 10 minutes.
- Strain and add a bit of raw honey to the liquid.
- Drink it twice a day.
- You can also chew 2 to 3 cloves of raw garlic every day to fight the symptoms of a mold allergy.
- Another option is to take garlic tablets – 600 to 900 mg a day. However, you should consult your doctor before doing this.
Related: Get Rid of Mold from Your Household with 6 Easy Peasy Home Remedies
Fresh ginger as well as supplemental forms are effective in treating different types of allergies, including mold allergies. It acts as a natural antihistamine and can strengthen the immune system. Ginger works effectively in reducing symptoms of mold allergies, like runny nose, nasal congestion, headaches and cough.
How to Use:
- Drink 2 to 3 cups of ginger a day for quick recovery from a mold allergy. All you have to do is boil 1 tablespoon of freshly grated ginger in 1 cup of water for 5 minutes. Strain, add a little lemon juice and raw honey and drink.
- You can also sprinkle a few small pieces of fresh ginger with salt and chew them several times a day.
Related: How to Get Rid of Mildew Smell with Easy Home Remedies?
3. Apple Cider Vinegar
ACV is probably one of the most popular ingredients in home remedies and it is easy to see why. Apple cider vinegar has many natural properties that make it a powerful natural treatment for a wide range of health and skin disorders. As a natural detoxifying agent, it helps in flushing out mold spores and other irritants from the system. It also has antihistamine and antibiotic properties that can effectively reduce the intensity of symptoms like headaches, nasal congestion, frequent sneezing and more. ACV also plays a vital role in regulating the immune response system of the body. It is of no surprise why it can get rid of mold allergies too.
How to Use:
- Add 1 tablespoon of raw, unfiltered ACV to 1 glass of warm water.
- Mix in 1 teaspoon of raw honey. You can also add a bit of lemon juice if you like.
- Drink the solution 2 to 3 times a day until your condition improves.
Related: 9 Effective Home Remedies for Asthma – Natural Remedies for Asthma
4. Vitamin D
Studies have found that Vitamin D does not only reduce the production of a protein that triggers the allergic response to mold, but also increases the production of proteins that boost tolerance. Vitamin D is also important for the proper functioning of the immune system. If you want to treat get rid of mold allergies, you should definitely increase your intake of this essential nutrient.
How to Use:
- Help your body with the production of Vitamin D by enjoying the early morning sun for 10 to 15 minutes every day.
- Eat Vitamin D-rich foods such as egg yolks, beef liver, fatty fish like tuna, mackerel and salmon, and Vitamin D-fortified cereals.
- You can also take Vitamin D supplements. However, be sure to consult your doctor before doing this.
Related: 11 Home Remedies for Common Cold That Work Like a Charm
5. Stinging Nettle
As it is an excellent natural antihistamine with anti-inflammatory properties, stinging nettle is a powerful herb that can help in dealing with the symptoms of mold allergies. Apart from easing nasal congestion, it can provide quick relief from symptoms such as itching, sneezing and coughing. This is a simple yet effective way to treat and prevent the symptoms of a mold allergy.
How to Use:
- Mix 1 tablespoon of dried stinging nettle in 1 cup of hot water.
- Let it steep for 5 minutes and then strain and add a small amount of honey.
- Drink this tea 2 or 3 times a day until you no longer suffer from the symptoms.
- You can also take stinging nettle supplements. But consult your doctor before doing so.
Note: Stinging nettle is not recommended for young children and pregnant women.
Related: How To Get Rid of a Headache? – Natural Headache Remedies
6. Colloidal Silver
This is a natural antibiotic that helps eliminate harmful toxins from the body, including mold spores. Colloidal silver is an excellent natural treatment for mold allergies as it does not create immunity or resistance in the pathogens it kills. It supports the immune system which in turn helps in limiting allergic reactions. Colloidal silver is can be taken orally to eliminate mold or fungi.
How to Use:
- To use colloidal silver orally for mold allergy treatment, take 5 or 6 drops a day to boost your immune system.
- You can also spray areas affected by mold lightly with pure colloidal silver and ventilate the room to effectively slow down mold growth.
- Add 1/2 cup of colloidal silver to the rinse cycle when you are doing laundry to eliminate spores and other pathogens to get rid of mold allergies from its root.
Related: How to Get Rid of a Stuffy Nose? 10 Home Remedies to Clear A Stuffy Nose Fast
As you can see, there are many home remedies that you can use to get rid of mold allergies. They are natural and safe, you can keep free from worrying about its side effects. However, if you do not notice improvement after using a remedy, you should consult your doctor.