Home Remedies for Common Cold: Common cold, like the name suggests, is one of the most common ailments that afflict both adults and kids alike. Anyone can fall prey to common cold during any time of the year. Even a sudden dip in the temperatures can cause a common cold. Though there are no vaccines as such for this condition, there are several home remedies that have been used since time immemorial in treating the many symptoms of it, such as strep throat, a runny nose and nagging headaches. Without further ado, let us take you through a list of home remedies for common cold that work like a charm.
11 Home Remedies for Common Cold That Work Like a Charm
1. Ginger Tea
There is no denying the many benefits of this common kitchen ingredient. Not only does this Asian herb render a distinctive flavor to your food, but it also works miracles in treating the symptoms of common cold. A tea brewed from ginger can help in treating coughs and common colds, instantly dry a runny and dripping nose, and expel phlegm from the respiratory tract naturally. It is one of the best home remedies for common cold and speeds up the recovery process too.
How to Use:
- Chew an inch of raw ginger or drink a cup of ginger tea several times a day. You can enhance the effectiveness of the tea by adding a dash of lemon and honey to it.
- You may also make a paste of ginger, salt, and cloves and consume half a teaspoon of this every four hours.
- For a runny nose, mix clarified butter, some jaggery, and dry ginger powder and consume this every day on an empty stomach every morning.
Related: How to get rid of a fever with home remedies?
If you are suffering from a stuffy nose, there is nothing better than steam. Heat a large vessel of water and add a few drops of tea tree oil or eucalyptus oil to it. Inhale this steam as many times a day for relief from congestion.
Related: Home remedies for swimmer’s ear
3. Honey and Onion Syrup
This is a recipe that works like a charm in treating a sore throat. Onion has anti-bacterial and anti-inflammatory properties that treat a strep throat. Honey is a natural humectant and has anti-bacterial properties too. Together, they make a potent common cold remedy.
How to Use:
- Slice two to three red onions. Place a slice of the onion in a bowl and add raw honey to it. Repeat the process until the bowl is full. Cover this bowl and let it sit for about 15 hours. When you open the bowl, you will find a thick liquid like syrup.
- Consume a spoonful of this syrup a number of times in a day to get relief from sore throat and other symptoms of a common cold.
Related: Best home remedies for eye floaters that work
4. Make your own chest slave
You can make your very own vapor rub at home with a few simple ingredients without breaking a sweat. This slave is made from natural ingredients that are known to get rid of common cold effectively.
How to make:
Pour ½ cup of coconut oil in a large bowl. To this add 15 drops of peppermint essential oil. Store this in small airtight containers. When well stored, this slave will last 3 years as long as it is kept away from sunlight.
Related: 10 best home remedies for cough
5. Hot water bags
Hot water bags are one of the best home remedies for common cold as you will be able to get immense relief from congestion and phlegm in the chest. Just fill a hot water bag with hot water and wrap a clean flannel over it. This will protect you from minor burns. Place this hot water bag on your chest and back for relief from a congested chest.
Related: 9 effective home remedies for asthma
6. Bath Salt for Sinus
If you are suffering from a cold due to a sinus and have a congested nose that does not improve, you may try a bath salt. This is a remedy that has been embraced by people susceptible to colds, the world over.
How to Use:
You will need a cup of Epsom salt, lavender oil, peppermint oil, and 3 drops of eucalyptus oil. Blend these together and store in an airtight container. Every time you step into your tub, add 2-3 spoons of this mixture to the bath water.
Related: Try these natural and home remedies for chest congestion
7. Chicken Soup
Yes, your granny was right! A bowl of hot chicken broth will give you instant relief from a common cold and also replenish your body with essential nutrients and vitamins. In fact it has been said to be one of the best tried and tested home remedies for common cold. Chicken soup has anti-oxidant properties that will help speed up the healing process. Homemade chicken soup also helps boost immunity and restores strength to your tired and weary body. For best results, throw in chopped organic vegetables into your chicken soup.
Related: How to get your voice back fast?
8. Spice tea
A brew of spices is all you need to treat this condition. Ayurvedic doctors the world over highly recommend this tea to get rid of a common cold. You must drink a brew of spiced tea every few hours to reap the benefits of this wonderful tea.
How to Use:
- Dry roast a quarter cup of coriander seeds, half a tablespoon of cumin seeds, half a tablespoon of fennel seeds, and a quarter teaspoon of fenugreek seeds. Grind these in a small mixer.
- Next, boil a cup of water in a vessel.
- Add two tablespoons of the mixture to the water.
- Next, add half a teaspoon of rock candy to the mixture.
- Allow the mixture to simmer for a few minutes.
- Finally, add two tablespoons of milk to the mixture.
- Boil and strain.
- Pour into a cup.
- Sip when the tea is still hot.
- Drink this tea every day until the symptoms subside.
Related: 10 quick home remedies for sore throat
Easily available in your kitchen pantry, garlic has antiviral and antibacterial properties that will help in getting rid of common cold. It improves the immune system and also naturally opens up the respiratory passages. That is not all, garlic also helps in flushing toxins out of the body that helps you recover from a cold rather quickly.
How to Use:
- Crush a garlic clove, one teaspoon of honey, two tablespoons of lemon juice, half a teaspoon of cayenne pepper. Consume this mixture diligently every day before breakfast until the symptoms begin to subside.
- Boil about five finely chopped garlic cloves in a cup of water and add a teaspoon of honey to it, Drink this mixture at least 4 times a day.
- You may also chew on some raw garlic or add a few drops of garlic oil in your food to get relief from common cold instantly.
Related: How to get rid of cold sores naturally?
This is yet another readily available kitchen ingredient that you can put to use to treat the many symptoms of common cold. The capsaicin contained in pepper helps naturally thin the mucus and provide great relief from congestion.
How to Use:
- If you are suffering from a runny nose, sprinkle some pepper in your food to reap the benefits of this herb. Alternatively, mix a teaspoon of black pepper in a glass of water and gargle with the mixture.
- If you cannot eat pepper, you may also benefit greatly from just smelling pepper throughout the day.
Related: Remedies to try to get rid of fever blisters
11. Mullein Tea
Any doctor will tell you that you can sure a cold by drinking plenty of fluids. Mullein tea is one such remedy that can help relieve chest congestion and put you back on your feet. This tea has expectorant properties is known to loosen the phlegm in the chest naturally, making it one of the most effective home remedies for common cold.
How to Use:
- To make a cup of mullein tea, fill a trainer with a handful of dried mullein herb.
- Place this in a cup of boiling water for at least ten minutes.
- Add a teaspoon of honey to this and drink it at least three times a day.
Related: Natural and safe home remedies for vomiting
These are just a few of the many home remedies for common cold that are known to eliminate the condition without adding side effects to your woes. Remember, you will need to be patient with home remedies and give them a few days to kick in and exhibit results.