How to get rid of goose eggs?: Not sure what a goose egg is? Well, it is what that occurs when there is swelling on your forehead. It occurs commonly in children but can affect adults too. It is a soft swelling that may have been caused by an injury. A goose egg is a pool of fluids that have accumulated from blood vessels that have been injured. While most goose eggs are harmless and go away on their own after a couple of days, they can be painful and cause a great deal of discomfort. However, for mild cases, there are several home remedies that can help in relieving the pain and inflammation and prevent them from getting worse.
6 Remedies to Get Rid of Goose Eggs At the Comfort of Your Home
Here is a look at some of the best home remedies to get rid of goose eggs:
1. Cold Compress
You should apply a cold compress for the first 24 to 48 hours. As soon as you notice the goose egg, take an ice pack and apply it to the affected area. The cold temperature will tighten your blood vessels, known as vasoconstriction, and this in turn will limit swelling and help in easing the pain.
How to Use:
- Take some ice cubes and wrap them in a towel. You can also use a bag of frozen peas.
- Apply the pack on the affected area for about 20 minutes.
- Take a break for 5 minutes and apply the pack again.
- Repeat as often as necessary until you get rid of goose eggs.
Note: Avoid applying ice directly on the skin as it may result in frostbite.
2. Warm Compress
One of the best ways to treat a goose egg is with a warm compress. It has a soothing effect while drawing out potential bacteria from the follicles. It is extremely effective in reducing the redness and pain as well. A warm compress is best after 24 hours have passed. It increases blood flow to the affected area, which in turn promotes the healing process by opening up the blood vessels. The open blood vessels then ensure that oxygenated blood and nutrients reach the damaged tissues.
How to Use:
- Soak a soft washcloth in warm water and wring out the excess water.
- Apply the cloth over the affected area for 10 minutes.
- Repeat after 1 hour.
- Use the warm compress a few times a day.
3. Apple Cider Vinegar
To reduce swelling on the head caused by some type of injury, there is nothing quite like apple cider vinegar. It has alkalizing as well as anti-inflammatory properties that are effective in reducing pain and inflammation. Apple cider vinegar will quickly bring down the bump and balance the pH of your skin. It minimizes the risk of scarring as well.
How to Use:
- Mix equal parts of apple cider vinegar (raw and unfiltered) and water and heat up the solution in the microwave.
- Soak a towel in the solution and wrap it around the affected area.
- Allow it to sit for 5 to 10 minutes.
- Repeat this 2 or 3 times a day.
- You can also add 1 teaspoon of raw, unfiltered apple cider vinegar to 1 glass of warm water. Drink this 2 times a day to speed up the healing process from within.
Arnica has analgesic and anti-inflammatory properties, making it an excellent home remedy to get rid of goose eggs. It boosts the re-absorption of fluids into the blood vessels. This in turn helps in reducing pain and swelling. Arnica also improves circulation of blood, thereby supporting quick recovery.
How to Use:
- Mix 5 to 6 drops of arnica essential oil with 2 tablespoons of olive oil.
- Apply the mixture on the affected area a couple of times a day.
- You can also apply an arnica ointment or balm on the affected area 2 to 3 times a day.
Note: Make sure that you do not use arnica oil on broken skin.
5. Black Tea Bags
Black tea contains tannins, which are compounds that have great astringent qualities. This is what makes black tea bags extremely helpful in reduce swelling on the head brought on by an injury. If you are looking for a simple yet effective natural remedy for goose eggs, you should definitely try black tea bags.
How to Use:
- Soak a black tea bag in a cup of warm water for 10 minutes.
- Remove the bag from the water and let it cool.
- Gently apply it over the affected area for 10 minutes.
- Repeat 6 to 7 times a day to get quick results.
Turmeric powder is known to be excellent for the skin, which is why it is often an ingredient in skin care products. Its cooling effects is great to get rid of goose eggs plus it has anti-inflammatory properties that heal and prevent skin disorders. Its active compound curcumin does not only have anti-inflammatory properties, but antioxidant effects as well – both properties help in reducing pain and swelling that comes with goose eggs.
How to Use:
- Mix 2 tablespoons of turmeric powder and 1 tablespoon of olive or coconut oil to make a paste.
- Apply the paste on the affected area and leave it on until it dries.
- Wash it off gently with warm water or a wet cloth.
- Repeat 2 to 3 times a day.
- To boost the healing process from within, drink a mixture made with 1 teaspoon of turmeric powder and 1 ½ cups of milk. Simmer the mixture on low heat until you get a golden color. Add a bit of honey and drink this 2 times a day.
As you can see, there are many great home remedies for goose eggs. These remedies are natural and safe, and with ingredients that are easy to get – you are likely to already have them in your home. However, if you notice the swelling, inflammation, or pain getting worse or if you are vomiting, you should immediately consult a doctor. Last but not least, avoid massaging the affected area as you could do more harm than good. If there are any other remedies you know that can help get rid of goose eggs, let us know.