Home Remedies for Hidradenitis Suppurativa: Also known as acne inversa, Hidradenitis Suppurativa is a painful and debilitating chronic inflammatory skin condition. It is characterized by tender, red lesions or bumps and blackheads on the skin. The bumps can itch and burn, often growing bigger in size. As they grow, they eventually break open and ooze pus. Hidradenitis Suppurativa, unlike regular acne, develops in areas where skin contacts the skin, like upper thighs, buttocks, groin, underarms and breasts. Fortunately, there are home remedies that you can use to treat mild cases of this condition.
7 Natural Home Remedies for Hidradenitis Suppurativa
Here is a look at some of the most effective home remedies for Hidradenitis Suppurativa and to help you treat it and relieve the pain and discomfort that comes with it:
1. Apple Cider Vinegar and Turmeric
For centuries, turmeric has been used for treating a wide range of health conditions, including skin issues as it has potent medicinal properties. The bright yellow spice contains circumin, an active compound that functions as an antibacterial and anti-inflammatory agent. When taken internally, turmeric also helps in balancing hormones. Apple cider vinegar is also antibacterial, making it effective for eliminating bacteria that colonize the abscesses.
- Take 1 teaspoon each of apple cider vinegar and turmeric and make a paste.
- Apply the paste on the bumps.
- Leave on for 30 minutes.
- Wash off with warm water.
2. Warm Compress
Do you want to ease the pain that comes with Hidradenitis Suppurativa? A warm compress is what you need. It helps in soothing irritated skin and reducing pain and inflammation associated with this condition. Keep in mind that to treat Hidradenitis Suppurativa with a warm compress, it must be dry as wet compresses can make the condition worse.
- Fill a glass bottle with hot water.
- Take a thin, dry towel or cloth and wrap it around the bottle.
- Hold the compress lightly on the affected area for 10 minutes.
- Repeat as many times as you need throughout the day.
- Note: If the bumps have ruptured and draining pus, do not use a hot compress. You should also avoid this remedy if you are pregnant or suffer from high blood pressure, poor circulation or diabetes.
3. Aloe Vera
Have you noticed that aloe vera is one of the most popular ingredients for skin conditions? It is also one of the best home remedies for Hidradenitis Suppurativa too. With its powerful anti-inflammatory and antibacterial properties, it helps in effectively reducing pain and inflammation. It also inhibits the growth of microorganisms and promotes healing.
- Extract the gel of 1 aloe vera leaf.
- Apply the gel on the affected area.
- Rub it in for a few minutes, allowing the gel to penetrate deep into your skin.
- Leave it on to dry naturally.
- Repeat 2 to 3 times a day until you notice an improvement in the condition.
Also known as Indian lilac, neem is known to be an excellent natural remedy for a variety of skin conditions, including Hidradenitis Suppurativa. It has antibacterial, antimicrobial and antiseptic properties that treat the condition and prevent infections from developing again. This is a simple remedy that works incredibly well for Hidradenitis Suppurativa and you can use it in multiple ways.
- First, grind a handful of neem leaves to form a paste.
- Apply it on the affected area and leave it on for 30 minutes.
- Rinse off with cold water.
- You can also rinse the affected area with neem water. Boil the leaves in water until the water quantity reduces to one-third and let it cool before you rinse.
- Additionally, you can mix a few drops of pure neem oil and 2 tablespoons of olive oil.
- Apply the oil to the affected area and leave it on to work its magic.
- Repeat these remedies 2 to 3 times daily for a few weeks.
5. Tea Tree Oil
As you know, tea tree oil is a popular natural remedy for acne. Well, you can also use it to reduce the severity and size of Hidradenitis Suppurativa. Its antibacterial properties clear up the infection and reduce the foul pus smell as well. Tea tree oil is available in a concentrated form, so applying it directly on your skin can sting. Mixing it with a carrier oil is a good idea. Also, compared to the other home remedies for Hidradenitis Suppurativa, this is by far the easiest.
- Take a small bowl and mix 5 to 6 drops of tea tree oil and 1 tablespoon of olive oil.
- Stir a little to make sure that they are well mixed.
- Dip a cotton ball into the mixture and apply it all over the affected area.
- Leave it on.
- Repeat 2 to 3 times a day to heal the lesions that come with Hidradenitis Suppurativa within a week.
Related: How to get rid of cystic acne?
One of the most powerful natural antibiotics, honey also has antibacterial properties, featuring it in the list of home remedies for Hidradenitis Suppurativa. It helps in reducing inflammation and facilitating the healing process when applied directly on skin. Honey is also a gentle, deep cleanser and helps keep the skin moisturized, so it prevents scarring from occurring in the affected area.
- Dip a cotton ball in honey – Manuka honey is best.
- Apply it all over the affected area generously.
- Leave it on for 15 to 20 minutes.
- Wash off with lukewarm water.
- For best results, repeat 3 to 4 times a day.
7. Oregano Oil
Yes, oregano oil is another great natural remedy for treating Hidradenitis Suppurativa. Its antibacterial and anti-inflammatory properties help in reducing pain, swelling and inflammation, which are the most common symptoms of the condition. It kills bacteria and soothes irritated closed wounds and prevents the colonization of bacteria under the skin.
- Take a few drops of oregano oil in a cotton ball.
- Apply directly to the affected area.
- Leave on for 15 to 20 minutes.
- Repeat 2 times a day for best results.
Hidradenitis Suppurativa, when mild, can be treated effectively with any of the home remedies mentioned above. They are natural and safe, so you do not have to worry about adverse side effects. However, if you have a severe case of this condition, you should consult a doctor who will recommend an appropriate treatment. Try these home remedies for Hidradenitis Suppurativa today, and let us know how they worked for you.