How to stop your dog from licking its paws?: Do you find your dog licking his paws all the time? You are certainly not alone as this is a common problem that many dog owners face. If your dog is always licking his paws, it is a clear indication that there is something wrong with it. Your furry friend could be having an allergy to pollen, food, grass or cleansing solutions. The itchy paws could also be caused by fleas, mites, scrapes, cuts, dry skin or a foreign object stuck in the paw. Hormonal imbalances or arthritis pain could also be the cause. Whatever the cause may be, you can prevent or stop your dog from licking its paws with some relatively simple home remedies.
7 Home Remedies to Prevent or Stop Your Dog from Licking Its Paws
Here is a look at some of the best home remedies to prevent or stop your dog from licking its paws:
1. Apple Cider Vinegar
Apple cider vinegar is effective in helping to deal with any kind of infection that may be present in your dog’s paws. It has antibacterial and anti-inflammatory properties that can treat the root cause of the problem and relieve any discomfort that your furry pal may be experiencing. Apple cider vinegar also relieves arthritis pain, which is often another reason why dogs persistently lick their paws.
- Mix 1 part raw, unfiltered apple cider vinegar and 2 parts water in a large bowl.
- Soak your doggy’s paws in the solution for up to 5 minutes.
- Do not rinse off, but make sure that you dry the paws thoroughly afterwards.
- Repeat 1 to 2 times a day until your dog stops licking his paws.
When your dog licks his paws too much, it can damage the paws and their surrounding skin. It can also make the skin dry and itchy. In such cases, there is no better remedy than honey. Being a great natural moisturizer, honey relieves the dryness and itching. It also fights infection and promotes healing of wounds, thereby helps stop your dog from licking its paws.
- After soaking your dog’s paws, pat them dry thoroughly.
- Apply honey, preferably Manuka honey, generously on the paws.
- Cover with gauze and use adhesive tape to ensure that it is securely in place.
- Leave it on overnight.
- Remove the gauze the next morning.
- Do this once every day until your furry friend’s paws are healed.
3. Coconut Oil
Coconut oil is a wonderful remedy for dry paws. It has a high fat content that helps in keeping your dog’s paws moisturized and also reduces skin irritation and itchiness. If your pet is constantly licking his paws as a way to relieve dryness and irritation, then coconut oil is all you need to help your little furry buddy.
- Mix 3 tablespoons of extra-virgin coconut oil and 2 drops of oregano oil.
- Apply a small amount of the mixture on your pet’s paws.
- Massage it in for 1 to 2 minutes and leave it on.
- Do this 2 times a day until your pet stops licking his paws.
If your doggy is licking his paws because of a minor wound, cut or arthritic pain, turmeric is extremely effective in providing relief. The spice also has anti-inflammatory properties that fight infections. You can stop your dog from licking its paws by treating wounds and cuts with turmeric.
- Mix 1/2 a teaspoon of turmeric powder with a small amount of olive oil or coconut oil to form a paste.
- Apply the paste on your pet’s paws and cover it with a bandage.
- Leave it on overnight and wash it off the next morning.
- Do this once every day until you notice your dog stops licking.
- Add a bit of turmeric to your doggy’s diet as well. Consult your vet for the right dosage.
5. Vitamin E
Is dry skin the reason your furry friend is constantly licking his paws? If it is, then go for Vitamin E to give him some relief. This beneficial oil is effective for treating dry skin and prevents it as well. Imagine the discomfort your pet is experiencing as a result of the dry skin, let’s also not forget how his continual licking will damage his skin. To put an end to this, use Vitamin E oil.
- Extract Vitamin E oil by breaking a few capsules open.
- Rub the oil directly on your pet’s paws and massage it for a few minutes so that the skin absorbs it.
- Repeat this 2 to 3 times a day until you get the results you desire.
6. Indian Lilac (Neem)
Also known as neem, Indian lilac is a powerful ingredient that is used in countless natural remedies to treat a wide range of skin issues. It has antiseptic properties that make it extremely effective in treating infections that may be in your pet’s paws, resulting in constant licking. Neem is also great for reducing irritation and itchiness.
- Wash a handful of neem leaves thoroughly and boil them in a pot of water for 10 minutes.
- Allow it to cool, strain and fill a spray bottle with the solution.
- Spray the solution on your pet’s paws and leave it to dry.
- Do this once every day until your to stop your dog from licking its paws.
- Or, mix a few drops of pure neem oil and 2 tablespoons of extra-virgin coconut oil.
- Apply the mixture on your pet’s paws for 30 minutes.
- Repeat 2 to 3 times a day until you see an improvement.
Apart from infections, cuts and wounds, and arthritic pain, your dog could be licking his paws all the time because of boredom. Have you thought about how often you take your dog out for a walk or a bit of exercise in the park? If you have not been doing this too much, it may be the time to start. It could make a huge difference in your dog’s behavior and prevent it from licking its paws all the time. Engaging with your dog will also build trust and make it feel secure.
- Take your pet for a walk every morning or evening.
- Play with him in the yard with a ball or stick.
- Take him to the park where he can run wild and free and get the exercise he needs.
- Do this on a regular basis and you will notice a huge change.
Before you try using this remedies to stop your dog from licking its paws, make sure that you find out the root cause behind it. This will help you find the best home remedy to help him and give him relief from whatever is causing this behavior. If you cannot identify the cause of your furry friend’s constant paw-licking, you should take him to a vet for a checkup and find out how you can help him.