How to Treat Trigger Finger?: Trigger finger can be irritating in mild cases, but in severe cases, it can be extremely painful and debilitating. It occurs when the tendon sheath of your finger becomes irritated and results in inflammation. Common symptoms of trigger finger include stiffness of fingers, tenderness, a clicking or popping sensation, a visible bump at the base of the finger, and finger locking in a bent position. In most cases, you can treat trigger finger with safe and simple home remedies.
How to Treat Trigger Finger; 10 Home Remedies for Fast Relief
Here is a look at some of the best natural remedies to treat trigger finger:
1. Hot Compress
Are you experiencing unbearable pain from your trigger finger? One of the most effective treatments for this is a hot compress. It is an extremely simple remedy that works wonders in alleviating many kinds of pain.
- Dip a cloth in hot water and wring to remove excess water.
- Place the cloth over the trigger finger for a few minutes and then remove it.
- Continue doing this until you notice an improvement in the pain.
2. Aloe Vera
Doesn’t it seem like there is nothing that aloe vera cannot do? Apart from being excellent for a wide range of health and skin issues, it is also extremely effective to treat trigger finger. Aloe vera has anti-inflammatory properties that can help ease soreness and pain and also prevent inflamed skin.
- Extract the gel from fresh aloe vera leaves.
- Rub it over the affected finger and massage gently for a few minutes.
- Do this 2 to 3 times a day until your condition improves.
This is one of the best home remedies for trigger finger. Pineapple contains bromelain which is known to have many benefits. It is this compound that helps in reducing the pain that comes with trigger fingers. It also contains vitamins and few other essential nutrients that can help in eliminating dead tissues from the body. When these tissues are removed, the swelling eventually goes down.
- Eat pineapple every day.
- You can also make fresh pineapple juice and drink it daily.
- Do this for a few weeks to get rid of trigger finger and give your immunity a boost at the same time.
4. Fish Oil
Omega-3 fatty acids play a vital role in the treatment of trigger finger. Fish oil is a rich source of this nutrient, making it one of the best options to treat this condition. Omega-3 fatty acids can repair tissues damaged by the condition and keep the joints well lubricated.
- Take fish oil supplements daily. Consult your doctor to find the correct dosage.
- Also, make oily fish a part of your regular diet to optimize the benefits of omega-3 fatty acids.
Turmeric contains curcumin, which makes it one of the best ingredients for natural remedies to treat trigger finger. It helps in reducing inflammation and limits the production of a substance that is believed to make the pain of trigger finger worse.
- Mix turmeric powder and water to form a thick paste.
- Apply it on the trigger finger.
- Leave it on until it dries and then wash off with cold water.
- Repeat several times throughout the day on a daily basis to get rid of the condition quickly.
6. Coconut Oil
Coconut oil is known for its nourishing and healing properties. It makes for a simple natural treatment for trigger finger that works wonders in relieving pain and other symptoms of the condition. This beneficial oil prevents swelling, inflammation and recurrence of trigger finger as well.
- Apply a few drops of organic coconut oil on the affected finger.
- Gently massage for 15 to 20 minutes.
- Repeat every few hours daily to gain relief and get rid of the problem.
For centuries, wheatgrass has been known as a vital ingredient in home remedies for treating a wide range of health issues. It has medicinal properties that make it great to treat trigger finger and get rid of it altogether. This is because wheatgrass contain properties that fight inflammation and improve blood circulation.
- Crush some wheatgrass to extract its juice.
- Drink 1 glass of wheatgrass juice 2 to 3 times a day for a few weeks or until you notice an improvement in your condition.
With its powerful antioxidant and anti-inflammatory properties, ginger is another excellent natural treatment for trigger finger. It reduces pain and inflammation that comes with the condition.
- Cut a few slices of fresh ginger.
- Rub them on the affected finger for a few minutes.
- Allow the juice to be absorbed by your skin and you will get relief in no time.
- Also, sip a cup of ginger tea throughout the day to treat the condition from within.
- It is also a good idea to add ginger to your daily cooking to gain its nutrients and treat trigger finger.
9. Trigger Finger Exercise
Apart from remedies that are used externally to treat trigger finger, there are also a certain exercises that work fast in getting rid of the condition. These simple exercises work amazingly well in getting your fingers back to normal.
- Wrap a rubber band around your thumb and fingers.
- Open and close your hand against the resistance of the band.
- Continue doing this for about 10 minutes.
- Or, hold a stress ball, squeeze it for about 5 seconds and then release.
- Repeat this 5 to 10 times.
- Continue these exercises until you notice an improvement in your condition.
10. Apple Cider Vinegar
Apple cider vinegar is a super-ingredient when it comes to treating inflammation, making it highly effective to treat trigger finger. You can apply it externally or consume it orally to ease the pain and swelling that comes with the condition. If you are going to consume it, make sure that you dilute it first as its strong acidity may have an adverse effect on digestion.
- Add 1 to 2 teaspoons of apple cider vinegar to 1 glass of warm water.
- Drink the solution 2 to 3 times a day to get relief from the symptoms of trigger finger.
- Do this for a few weeks or until you notice positive results.
- You can also apply the vinegar to the affected area and massage for a few minutes.
- Or, dampen a soft cloth with apple cider vinegar and wrap it around the affected finger.
- Cover it with plastic wrap and leave it on for as long as possible.
- Repeat this for as long as you need to improve your condition.
Trigger finger is a painful condition that you need to treat as quickly as possible to prevent it from getting worse. A trigger finger brace can help but if you wish to get rid of the condition permanently, it is best to follow home remedies. However, if you do not see an improvement after several weeks of using these natural treatments, you should visit a doctor as surgery may be required. Should you know other remedies that can treat trigger finger, don’t hesitate to share them with us.