Home Remedies for Fordyce Spots: Are you looking for natural treatments for Fordyce spots that you can make at home? You are in luck because there are quite a few! But before getting to them, let us find out what exactly Fordyce spots are. Also known as Fordyce disease, Sebaceous Prominence, and Fordyce granules, these spots are sebaceous glands that develop in awkward parts of the body, such as the genital area and the border of the lips. It also occurs on facial skin.
While they are not contagious or painful and do not itch, they can be extremely embarrassing when they pop up in areas that make it seem like you have an STD. They also look quite unsightly when they occur in visible areas. The good news is that there are many home remedies for Fordyce spots that effectively help get rid of this embarrassing problem.
7 Best Home Remedies for Fordyce Spots That Are Worth Giving A Try
Fordyce spots do not have any negative effect on your health and usually go away on their own in a just a couple of days. However, if they take longer to go or recur often, you can try home remedies to get rid of them. Some of the best home remedies for Fordyce spots are:
1. Citrus Juice
Packed with Vitamin C, citrus juice is one of the best home remedies for many skin problems, including Fordyce spots. Known as the skin-friendly vitamin, Vitamin C has powerful antioxidant properties that help in collagen synthesis, giving you new, blemish-free skin. It also helps heal your skin so that the spots go away easily and quickly.
- Mix 3 to 4 tablespoons of fresh lemon juice, 3 to 4 tablespoons of fresh lemon juice and 2 to 3 tablespoons of lukewarm water.
- Stir to make sure that the ingredients blend well.
- Soak a cotton ball in the mixture and place it on the affected area.
- Leave it on for 3 to 5 minutes.
- If the area feels sticky after applying the juice, wipe with a wet tissue. Do not wash it off as the Vitamin C has to be on your skin for as long as possible for this remedy to work.
- Do this 3 to 4 times daily until the Fordyce spots are completely gone.
When it comes to conditions affecting the skin, garlic has always been known as an almost magical ingredient. Its antioxidant and anti-inflammatory properties are what make it an excellent natural treatment for Fordyce spots. While the antioxidant properties fight the harmful effects of free radicals on your skin, its anti-inflammatory properties help in shrinking the bumps. You can use garlic in multiple ways to make home remedies for Fordyce spots.
- Crush 2 to 3 cloves of garlic and swallow with water every morning on an empty stomach.
- Or, you can also warm 1/3 cup of coconut oil and soak 4 to 5 large cloves of crushed garlic for a few hours. You can leave the cloves to sit for 3 to 7 days, or even more.
- Remove the cloves and use the garlic-infused oil to get rid of Fordyce spots.
- Apply it on the affected area 3 to 4 times a day until the spots are gone.
- Lastly, make garlic a part of your daily diet. It has many benefits for your health and your body will thank you for it.
3. Tea Tree Oil
You have probably noticed that tea tree oil tops almost every skin related remedy list. This is because it has antibacterial and antiviral properties that work wonders on infections and inflammation. Although Fordyce spots are not caused by any fungal or viral infection, infections may result from the trapped sebum under your skin – this is in rare cases. Tea tree oil can prevent and treat such infections and also help get rid of Fordyce spots. It is especially helpful for penile papules.
- Mix 4 to 5 drops of tea tree oil with 1 to 2 tablespoons of coconut oil.
- Apply it to the affected area 3 to 4 times daily.
- Continue until you get rid of Fordyce spots completely.
For centuries, turmeric has been used to treat a wide range of health and skin conditions. It is known for its potent antibacterial and anti-inflammatory properties, which are what make it so effective in treating skin problems. Curcumin, its active ingredient, is known to be helpful in removing spots, like Fordyce spots, making your skin blemish-free.
- Mix ½ to 1 teaspoon of turmeric with milk, apple cider vinegar or water to make a smooth paste. Choose the ingredient works best for your skin. Milk is good for those with dry skin while ACV works best for those with oily skin.
- Apply the paste to the Fordyce spots and leave on for 20 to 30 days.
- Wash off with lukewarm water.
- Do this 2 to 3 times daily until the spots are gone.
5. Argan and Jojoba Oil
Argan and jojoba oils are two best essential oils when it comes to home remedies for Fordyce spots. They contain tocopherol that is known to be very helpful in decreasing the spots, especially those that occur on lips.
- Mix 10 ml each of argan and jojoba oil in a small bowl.
- Wash the affected area thoroughly with an antibacterial soap.
- Next, apply the oil blend with a cotton ball or clean hands to the affected area.
- Allow your skin to absorb it for 10 to 20 minutes and then wash off with lukewarm water.
- Do this at least once every day to see great results within a few days.
6. Apple Cider Vinegar
No home remedy for skin problems can be complete without apple cider vinegar, or ACV. In fact, it is one of the best home remedies for Fordyce spots. Its antibacterial and antifungal properties fight the root cause of the spots, especially those that develop on the lips. You can use ACV topically and internally to double your efforts to treat Fordyce spots. Keep in mind that while this remedy is effective for many, it may not work for all. Give it a try to see if it works for you.
- Add 2 tablespoons of ACV to 1 glass of water and stir well.
- Drink the solution 2 to 3 times a day for maximum benefit.
- You can also use this solution topically by applying to the affected area with cotton balls.
- Do this 2 times a week. Overusing the solution topically can cause burning sensation and skin irritation.
7. Asparagus Paste
Rich in antioxidants like carotenes, crypto-xanthins, zea-xanthin, and lutein, asparagus is also great to get rid Fordyce spots. It also contains vitamins A, C and E, which help in treating a variety of skin problems. These nutrients also give your immunity a boost. It has been found in a number of cases that when immunity is improved, it leads to the disappearance of Fordyce spots. Asparagus also has anti-inflammatory properties which are known to be helpful in curing this problem.
- Crush 1 fresh asparagus to make a paste. You can add some water if necessary.
- Add 3 to 4 drops of tea tree oil (optional) and 1 teaspoon of lemon juice to the paste. If it is too thick, add a little water.
- Apply the paste to the affected area and leave on for 10 to 15 minutes.
- Wash off thoroughly with water and gently pat dry.
- Repeat this 2 times a day until your spots are gone.
These are some of the best home remedies for Fordyce spots. It may or may not work for you. Try out different remedies to find the one that works the best. Once you find the right home remedy, you can stop worrying bid goodbye to them nasty spots for good!