Home Remedies for Burnt Tongue: Ever taken a sip of a hot beverage and burnt your tongue? Isn’t it just one of the worst feelings? The most annoying part of the entire scenario is that the burns last quite long. Yes, they will eventually heal, but what do you do if you want to speed up the process? Home remedies, of course! This is a simple but effective method to heal your burnt tongue and get rid of any discomfort that results from it. However, keep in mind that a severe burn can also result in an infection. So, if you have a severely burnt tongue, you should consult a doctor immediately. Without further ado, here are some home remedies for burnt tongue.
7 Best Home Remedies for Burnt Tongue with Your Kitchen Ingredients
Here are a few great home remedies to help with your burnt tongue:
1. Have something cold
One of the first and best things to do when you burn your tongue is to immediately have something cold. It will help in bringing down the temperature of your burning tongue. It will also prevent any tissue from getting damaged and reduce inflammation. Something cold will also hydrate your mouth and keep harmful bacteria from causing an infection.
- Lick a popsicle, suck on an ice cube or eat an ice cream.
- You can also drink chilled water or juice, taking small sips.
- Try to hold whatever you use in your mouth as long as you can before you swallow.
- Repeat until your symptoms subside and you will discover that it is one of the best home remedies for burnt tongue.
When you burn your tongue, honey can be extremely helpful. It is a natural antibacterial agent that keeps bacteria from infecting damaged skin. It also has anti-inflammatory properties that reduce the pain and swelling that comes with a burn. Honey is also highly effective for wound regeneration. It is definitely one of the simplest yet most effective home remedies for burnt tongue.
- Take 1 teaspoon of Manuka honey and spread it all over your tongue.
- Leave it on for as long as possible before you swallow it.
- Repeat 2 to 3 times a day.
- Note: Do not give honey to children under the age of 1 as it can harbor toxic spores resulting in infant botulism.
Just burnt your tongue and want an instant relief? Get hold of some yogurt right away. It has a soothing effect that gets rid of the heat from the burn. Yogurt also works to alleviate the pain you experience when you have a sore, sensitive tongue. It is tasty and healthy too, so you get a few other benefits while healing your burnt tongue.
- Take 1/2 a cup of cold, plain yogurt.
- Take in a small amount and leave it in your mouth for 5 to 10 seconds before swallowing.
- Continue until you have finished all the yogurt.
- Do this a few times a day and you will heal your burnt tongue in no time at all.
You never know when you might burn your tongue, but no matter when it happens, you always have one remedy at home – sugar. Yes, sugar works amazingly well in relieving the pain and discomfort you feel when you burn your tongue. Apart from soothing your tongue and mouth, it helps in improving the taste in your mouth.
- Take 1 teaspoon of sugar and place it on your tongue.
- Hold it against the roof of your mouth and let the sugar melt.
- Repeat as often as you need to and you will agree that sugar is indeed one of the best home remedies for burnt tongue.
- Note: Do not use this remedy if you have high blood sugar.
5. Salt Water
This is another simple remedy with an ingredient that you always have in your kitchen. As you know, salt is an antibacterial agent that can prevent the development of infections around the damaged tissue on your burnt tongue and in your mouth. Warm water, on the other hand, can delay the progression of the burn and also prevent further tissue damage. If you want a quick remedy after burning your tongue, salt water is all you need.
- Mix 1/2 a teaspoon of salt in a glass of warm water and stir well until the salt dissolves.
- Swish the water around your mouth for 30 seconds and then spit it out.
- Do this a few times a day until your burnt tongue heals and there is no more pain.
6. Aloe Vera
You may have used aloe vera gel topically in the past to treat minor burns, but did you know that it works equally well for a burnt tongue? Aloe vera has healing properties that make it highly effective in soothing and healing a burn on your tongue, thereby making it one of the most powerful home remedies for burnt tongue. However, keep in mind that store-bought aloe vera gels often contain preservatives and additives, making them ideal for external use only. For burnt tongues, it is best to use 100% natural aloe vera gel.
- Extract gel from an aloe vera leaf and using a cotton swab, apply it directly on the burnt part of your tongue.
- You can also mix 2 tablespoons of fresh aloe vera gel in half a glass of warm water.
- Swish the mixture around your mouth for 30 seconds and then spit it out.
- Repeat this 2 to 3 times a day until the burn on your tongue is healed.
Another remedy to resort to when you have a burnt tongue is mint. It contains menthol that helps in activating the cold-sensing nerves, reducing inflammation and numbing the affected area. The herb also has natural antibacterial properties that prevent the risk of infection. Cool mint tea or mint toothpaste can go a long way in helping you relieve your burnt tongue.
- Apply some mint toothpaste on the affected area of your burnt tongue.
- Keep your tongue out of your mouth until the toothpaste dries.
- Once dried, wash it off with cold water.
- Repeat 2 to 3 times a day until your burnt tongue is healed.
- Make some mint tea and put it in the refrigerator to cool down. Sip it slowly, allowing it to do its magic on the burn.
As you can see, there are many simple home remedies for burnt tongue. But do not let their simplicity fool you – they are really effective and will give you relief instantly. The next time you sip on a hot cup of tea or coffee or eat something hot and burn your tongue, do not worry. Just go to your kitchen and make a quick remedy to treat it immediately and avoid the pain, discomfort, and also prevent infections in a go.