How to Get Rid of Angular Cheilitis?: Angular cheilitis, or cracks in the corners of the mouth, is also known as perleche or angular stomatitis and is a common condition affecting millions of people. In this condition, red, swollen patches appear on the corners of your one or both sides of your mouth. The symptoms of angular cheilitis include soreness, irritation, blisters, bleeding, swelling, itchiness, crusty patches and a scaly texture in the corners of the mouth. If you have this condition, you will be glad to know that you can use home remedies to get rid of angular cheilitis and prevent it from recurring.
7 Home Remedies to Get Rid of Angular Cheilitis
Here are some of the most effective home remedies for angular cheilitis:
1. Aloe Vera
Due to its antifungal, antiseptic and anti-inflammatory properties, aloe vera is one of the most effective and speedy remedies to get rid of angular cheilitis. It helps in relieving pain and inflammation that accompanies the condition. Plus, aloe vera moisturizes and heals the dry and damaged skin at the corners of your mouth.
- Take a fresh aloe vera leaf and extract the gel.
- Cool the gel for 30 minutes in your refrigerator.
- Rub on the affected area gently.
- Leave it on for 15 to 20 minutes and let it dry.
- Rinse off with cool water.
- Repeat 2 to 3 times a day until the blisters on the corners of your mouth heal completely.
2. Castor Oil
Because it has anti-inflammatory properties, castor oil helps in toning down angular cheilitis by reducing the pain and inflammation. It also has powerful antibacterial properties that make it capable of fighting any bacteria that may be the cause of your condition. Castor oil also works effectively in eliminating fungal strains that infect the corners of the mouth and preventing the skin around your mouth from getting dry.
- Apply castor oil on the cracks on the corner of your mouth several times a day.
- You can also mix 1/2 a teaspoon of castor oil with 2 drops of tea tree oil.
- Apply it on the affected area with a cotton ball and leave it on for 30 minutes.
- Rinse off with cold water.
- Repeat 2 times a day to get rid of angular cheilitis fast.
3. Coconut Oil
Coconut oil is another wonderful natural treatment to get rid of angular cheilitis. The oil has antimicrobial properties that prevent the growth and spread of pathogens and fight infections. Coconut oil is also a great moisturizer, so it will help in reducing skin dryness and the pain and discomfort that accompanies it.
- Apply a bit of extra-virgin coconut oil on the cracked corners of your mouth.
- Repeat 3 to 4 times a day.
- Or, mix extra-virgin coconut oil and lemon juice in equal amounts.
- Apply the mixture on the affected area and leave it on for 15 minutes.
- Rinse off with lukewarm water.
- Repeat 2 times a day for 7 to 10 days.
4. Dish Soap and Vaseline
Yes, you read it right! Dish soap and Vaseline are amazing together for treating angular cheilitis. Dish soap disinfects the skin by acting as a mild antibacterial cleanser. Vaseline, on the other hand, forms a waterproof layer over the pathogenic cells and kills fungi that thrive in a moist environment. It also heals minor wounds and stops the bleeding that accompanies angular cheilitis.
- Take 1 teaspoon of liquid dish soap and 1/2 a cup of warm water.
- Mix well so that the soap dissolves properly.
- Soak a cotton ball with the solution and wipe the affected areas gently to clean away dirt and impurities.
- Pat your skin dry with a soft, clean cloth.
- Next, apply a thick coat of Vaseline on the affected areas.
- Repeat every 2 hours for 3 to 4 days to get rid of the problem completely.
Yogurt contains healthy bacteria that benefits your health. It helps in decolonizing the pathogens invading your skin and restoring the natural flora in your body. You can get rid of angular cheilitis by consuming yogurt and the probiotics in it. If you are using yogurt to treat this condition, make sure that you choose only unflavored or unsweetened varieties.
- Apply plain yogurt on the corners of your mouth and leave it on overnight.
- Rinse off with lukewarm water the next morning and gently pat dry.
- Reapply the yogurt.
- Continue this remedy daily for up to 1 week and you will see that the angular cheilitis has completely healed.
6. Tea Tree Oil
With its antibacterial, antiviral and antifungal properties, tea tree oil is one of the best natural remedies for a wide range of skin problems, including angular cheilitis. Not only does this amazing oil treat microbial infections, but also helps in reducing pain and inflammation. If you are looking for one of the most potent natural home remedies for angular cheilitis, you should definitely go for tea tree oil.
- Add 1 part tea tree oil to 3 parts water to dilute the oil.
- Dip a cotton ball into the solution and apply it on the affected areas.
- Do this 3 times a day for up to 1 week for best results.
- You can also mix 2 drops of tea tree oil in 2 or 3 tablespoons of petroleum jelly.
- Apply it on the affected area and leave it on for 30 minutes or longer.
- Rinse off with lukewarm water.
- Repeat a few times a day for 1 week or until you notice that the sore has gone completely. If you have any remaining mixture, store it in a small jar in a cool, dark place.
7. Vitamin B
Vitamin B is an important nutrient as it boosts the immune system and fights off infections. In some cases, people with a Vitamin B deficiency can develop sores in their mouth or angular cheilitis because the body is unable to keep the Candida yeast in check. You should increase your intake of this vitamin B to treat and prevent angular cheilitis and improve your overall health.
- Take 1 Vitamin B-complex capsule daily for 3 to 4 days and you will notice a significant improvement.
- Continue taking the supplement for 1 week to enhance your body’s resistance to infections and other health problems.
- Whenever symptoms flare up, even after the infection has healed completely, take a Vitamin B capsule immediately to make sure that you nip it in the bud.
Angular cheilitis is not only painful, but also embarrassing as the sores or blisters can look rather unsightly. It is important to treat it as quickly as possible before it gets worse. The home remedies mentioned above can help you to get rid of angular cheilitis and prevent it from worsening when you use them immediately after noticing the symptoms.