How to Get Rid of Mucous Cyst?: Have you ever woken up one morning to feel a bump right under your tongue that makes even swallowing difficult? You may be suffering from mucocele! And, you aren’t alone! Also known as mucocele, a mucous cyst is a small bump that usually develops under the tongue, but it can sometimes appear on lips as well, typically the lower lip. These cysts are quite common, painless and generally heal on their own. However, when it takes a long time for mucocele to heal, eating and drinking can become quite difficult. The good news is that you can get rid of mucous cyst with some fairly simple home remedies. These remedies are natural and safe and work amazingly well to get rid of mucous cysts.
How to Get Rid of Mucous Cyst?: 10 Home Remedies for Mucous Cysts
Here are the best natural remedies to treat mucocele and get rid of the problem effectively:
Honey is one of the best natural treatments to get rid of mucous cyst. Its antibacterial properties make it effective in eliminating the cyst. It is also a wonderful natural moisturizer, nourishing and moisturizing the skin around the bump and preventing it from getting dry and sore.
- Apply organic honey on the mucous cyst with a cotton swab.
- Do this every night before you go to bed.
- Continue until the mucous cyst heals completely.
2. Moist Tea Bag
Tea contains tannic acid which acts as a natural astringent and helps in speeding up the healing process. It also has anti-inflammatory properties that help in reducing pain, swelling and irritation caused by the mucous cyst.
- Make up a cup of tea using a tea bag and squeeze the bag to get rid of excess tea.
- Put the used tea bag in the refrigerator for a few minutes.
- Next, place the tea bag on the affected area and leave it on for 5 to 10 minutes.
- Repeat 2 to 3 times every day until you get rid of the cyst.
3. Warm Salt Water
Sodium chloride, or plain table salt, could be an ingredient that works best for you in combatting a mucous cyst. Firstly, it helps in quickly removing all the mucous from the bump and also soothes the pain and inflammation in the area the cyst. This remedy is simple but very effective, so give it a go.
- Mix some table salt in 1 cup of warm water and stir well.
- Swish the solution around your mouth like a mouthwash.
- Repeat this 3 to 4 times a day.
- Continue the process for a few days until the cyst bursts and goes away for good.
Sage is another herb that has astringent properties that helps in drying the cyst quickly and speeding up the healing process. It also has a calming effect that eases the discomfort that comes with mucous cyst. A sage mouth rinse can help you quickly get rid of mucous cyst.
- Add 2 to 3 teaspoons of sage – fresh or dried – to 2 cups of boiling water.
- Cover with a lid and allow it steep for 10 to 15 minutes.
- Strain and let it cool a little more for a couple of minutes.
- Use the solution as a mouthwash and rinse your mouth 3 to 4 times daily.
- Continue until the mucous cyst goes away.
- Note: Make sure that you do not swallow this herbal mouthwash.
Due to its powerful anti-inflammatory and antibacterial properties, turmeric is another highly effective remedy for mucous cysts. It is known to heal a wide range of skin infections and boosts your immune system to prevent further infection. Turmeric works well for mouth and lip cysts.
- Mix 1/2 teaspoon of turmeric with some milk to form a paste.
- Apply it directly on the cyst and allow it to dry.
- Rinse off with lukewarm water.
- Repeat 2 to 3 times a day until the cyst is gone.
- You can also apply turmeric powder directly to the cyst.
6. Castor Oil
With its anti-inflammatory properties, castor oil helps in reducing the pain, inflammation and swelling that comes with large oral mucous cysts. It is also effective in moisturizing the affected area and preventing dryness and irritation.
- Mix equal amounts of castor oil and raw honey.
- Use a cotton ball to apply the mixture all over the affected area.
- Leave it on for 10 minutes and then wash your mouth with lukewarm water.
- Repeat this treatment 2 to 3 times a day until you get rid of the mucocele.
Hydrated potassium aluminum sulphate, commonly known as alum, is another effective remedy to get rid of mucous cysts. It dries the fluid in the cyst, which in turn clears away the cyst and prevents it from recurring in the future.
- Use a cotton ball to apply alum on the cyst.
- Leave it for about 5 minutes before rinsing it off with water.
- Repeat it as regularly as you can until you get rid of the problem.
8. Evening Primrose Oil
Known for its potent medicinal properties, evening primrose oil is a superb natural treatment to get rid of mucous cyst. It works similar to alum, making it highly effective. This therapeutic oil is a popular ingredient in natural remedies for skin problems, so if you have a mucous cyst, you should definitely give this oil a try.
- Apply evening primrose oil directly into the mucous cyst.
- Do this 2 to 3 times a day until you notice that the cyst is gone.
- Evening primrose oil is also available in the form of capsules. Break the capsule and apply its content on the cyst.
- Use a Q-tip to apply the oil and do this 3 times a day.
- Repeat every day until the cyst is completely healed.
9. Citrus Juices
Orange and lemon juice are packed with Vitamin C, a powerful antioxidant. This nutrient helps in preventing mucous cysts from swelling up further. You can apply the juice and also drink it to stimulate the healing process from within.
- Extract fresh juice from oranges or lemon.
- Use a Q-tip or cotton ball to apply the juice on the affected area. Do not touch the cyst directly with your fingers.
- Leave it on for 10 to 15 minutes and then rinse off.
- Repeat this 2 to 3 times a day until the cyst is completely gone.
- Also, drink 1 to 2 glasses of fresh orange or lemon juice daily to heal the cyst from the inside.
10. Tea Tree Oil
As you know, tea tree oil works wonders for skin issues, and you can use it to get rid of mucous cyst too. It has antifungal and antiseptic properties that make it highly effective when applied topically to the cysts.
- Mix a few drops of tea tree oil with honey.
- Apply the mixture on the affected area with a cotton swab.
- Do this every night before you go to bed.
- Leaving it overnight will quickly get rid of the cyst.
- Repeat this remedy daily until you get rid of the problem.
Mucous cysts may heal on their own, but you can speed up the process with the help of these simple home remedies. Apart from following these remedies, you should also drink plenty of water and eat a healthy, balanced diet to relieve the problem and prevent it from recurring. If your cyst does not disappear after a couple of weeks, it may be wise to visit your doctor for a proper diagnosis and rule out the possibility of a serious condition that is causing the problem. Should you know other remedies that can get rid of mucous cyst, please share them with us!