Home remedies for rosacea: Rosacea is a condition which results in the excessive reddening of the cheeks with the presence of small, dilated blood vessels on the face. The target areas remain to be the cheeks primarily, along with the forehead, chin, around the eyes and in some cases, the neck and chest areas as well. Whereas for severe cases, they are characterized by small pustules or bumps, accompanied by swelling.
If we were to boil down the causes of rosacea to a single one, we would be left with none because the exact cause behind this condition remains to be unknown. That said, it does tend to affect women more than men and certain lifestyles might be known to aggravate the condition. This includes exposure to direct sunlight, consumption of spicy food, excessive drinking, sinus infections and so on. Strenuous exercise, heat, stress, and sunburn make the condition worse. So if you’re a victim of rosacea, you know what to steer clear of. Before we head on to the home remedies for rosacea, here is what you need to know about the condition.
Symptoms of rosacea
- Red patches and bumps
- Swollen eyelids
- Small cysts
- Burning sensation
Types of Rosacea
There are four main types of rosacea- one that affects the area around the eyes, while the other three tend to target the skin on your face.
To identify the types, look out for the following symptoms:
- Type one (erythematotelangiectatic rosacea) results in permanent redness on the face
- Type two (papulopustular rosacea) results in red bumps and pustules which might be easy to confuse with acne
- Type three (phymatous rosacea) results in excessive thickening of the skin on target areas- nose, forehead, and cheeks
- Type four (ocular rosacea) results in rosacea around the eyes.
If your definition of painting the town red doesn’t entail red pustules on your face, then these home remedies for rosacea will definitely come in handy.
Top 6 All-Natural and Cost Effective Home Remedies for Rosacea
1. Chamomile Compress
Chamomile is one of the most effective home remedies for rosacea as it possesses anti-inflammatory properties that help reduce inflammation and redness. Its composition boasts of terpenoids and flavonoids which soothe the skin. Before you proceed to take up this remedy full-fledged, be sure to do a patch test as chamomile can sometimes cause allergic reactions.
For this remedy:
- Soak about six chamomile tea bags in three cups of boiling water roughly for ten minutes or so.
- Place the bowl in the refrigerator soon after you remove the tea bags.
- Dip a cotton cloth in this cold solution, squeezing out the excess.
- Place this compress on the affected areas, leaving it on for fifteen minutes.
- Follow up with this remedy three or four times until you notice an improvement.
Also check: How to get rid of moles on skin?
Honey is yet another remedy for rosacea as it has anti-inflammatory and antioxidant properties. It must all seem obvious by now that any ingredient that is anti-inflammatory in nature could work wonders for you. Honey comes with the added bonus of preventing acne as well, keeping the skin moisturized minus the oil!
There are two ways to leverage honey:
- Mix in two tablespoons of organic honey with a tablespoon of olive oil and a teaspoon of whole milk.
- Apply this onto the affected areas and leave it on for ten minutes.
- Rinse soon after and repeat this once or twice a week.
- Massage two tablespoons of raw honey on your face.
- Leave this on for about twenty minutes before rinsing it off with warm water.
- Apply a light moisturizer soon after.
- This remedy helps to reduce redness and inflammation, promoting healing in the process.
Must read: Home remedies for skin tag removal
3. Aloe Vera
Aloe vera works wonders in alleviating some of the redness that accompanies rosacea. For the role, it plays in skin related issues we commend aloe vera, but you’ll be doing a lot more than commending if you knew of how it helps rosacea.
Compared to the other home remedies for rosacea, this one is fairly simple to follow and if time constraints you, this should be your go-to remedy.
- To the affected areas, apply the gel extracted from a fresh leaf.
- Allow this to dry before rinsing off.
- Be sure to follow this remedy twice every day.
Aloe vera juice can also come in handy as it promotes healthy skin. Consume one tablespoon of aloe vera juice every day for best results.
Also check: How to get rid of stretch marks?
4. Lavender Oil
Lavender oil has both antiseptic and yes, again, anti-inflammatory properties, making it an ideal home remedy for rosacea. Keep in mind that this remedy calls for a skin patch test as lavender oil is known to cause skin irritation for some.
For this remedy:
- Soak a cotton ball in pure lavender oil.
- Gently massage the affected areas with this cotton ball.
- The inflammation reduces with this remedy as the facial blood vessels constrict.
- Repeat this process twice every day.
- Mix a tablespoon of almond oil in a drop of lavender oil.
- Right before you go to bed, apply this onto the affected areas.
- Leave this on overnight and wash off in the morning on waking up.
- Repeat this process once every day for several weeks.
Must read: How to get rid of keloid scars?
Oatmeal has both antioxidant and anti-inflammatory properties which reduce redness, inflammation, and itching. It can also be used to treat other skin conditions like eczema, rashes and even stretch marks.
For this remedy:
To a large bowl filled with a quarter cup of water, mix in half a cup of powdered oatmeal.
- Apply this onto the affected skin areas.
- Be certain that you do not rub the surface of your skin when you apply the oatmeal on the affected areas.
- Leave this on for about twenty minutes before washing it off with cool water.
- Repeat this process twice everyday till you see results.
Also check: How to get rid of dark spots on skin?
6. Green tea
Green tea has phyto protective properties and anticarcinogen properties in addition to its antioxidant and anti-inflammatory properties. Not only will it reduce the redness, but it also aids in the prevention of further papules and pustules on the affected areas.
For this remedy:
- Make two cups of green tea, placing it in the refrigerator for thirty minutes.
- Soak a cloth in this tea and apply it on the affected areas.
- This needs to be followed up twice everyday for best results.
- You could also consume green tea directly in order to speed up the healing process.
Must read: Home remedies for rashes
Home remedies for rosacea are just around the corner of your homes. Before the condition gets worse, be sure to try out some of the remedies mentioned in this post. Remember to perform a patch test to ensure that you are not allergic to the ingredients mentioned above.