Dark spots are commonly known as age spots and are essentially discolored patches of skin that appear on the surface of your skin. They usually occur on the arms, shoulders, and face. The reason behind the appearance of these dark spots is an over secretion of the pigment melanin. While these spots vary from person to person in terms of shade, shape and size there is one thing these spots seem to have in common- the infliction of distress to their victims.
Before you resort to covering these spots with a layer of makeup, throw some light on this article to do the same for those dark spots of yours.
Causes of Dark Spots on Skin
If you want to avoid dark spots entirely, then it’s important to understand how they occur.
1. Exposure to the sun
Too much of anything is a bad thing and the same applies to sun exposure. Spending too much time under the sun without adequate sunscreen causes your skin to increase the production of melanin. What this means is that it is your skin’s mechanism of protecting against UV rays which essentially could increase the number of dark spots on your skin.
2. Hormonal changes
You’ve heard it before, so this is just an iteration of what’s already been said. Estrogen and progesterone levels tend to fluctuate from time to time which results in an uneven production of melanin. This, in turn, causes dark spots.
3. Facial hair removal
While removing facial hair does have its perks, it sometimes leads to discoloration of skin in those areas.
Scars left behind by pimples or injuries of any kind can lead to dark spots which take long to fade out.
As you age, your skin cells don’t reproduce as easily as they do in your younger years. This makes it more difficult to repair the damaged areas.
But worry not, these simple home remedies are bound to help you get rid of marks on the surface of your body.
Home Remedies to Get Rid of Dark Spots on Skin
1. Lemon Juice
Lemon juice is rich in Vitamin C, hence has the ability to lighten the dark spots on your skin. In fact, this is one of the easiest and most effective home remedies to rid you of dark spots instantly. However, if you have sensitive skin, then it is the best that you dilute the juice with some water, rose water or honey prior to application. Also be sure not to step out under the sun immediately after being through with this remedy.
For this remedy:
- Dip a cotton ball into freshly squeezed lemon juice and rub in on the surface of the affected skin.
- Let this stay for about fifteen minutes and wash it off with water.
- Follow this remedy for two weeks everyday for best results.
Note: Applying lemon juice to open sores to lesions is a big no no.
Also read: How To Get Rid Of Stretch Marks?
2. Aloe Vera
Aloe vera acts as a natural dark spot corrector due to its powerful healing properties. The gel contains polysaccharides that stimulate the growth of new skin cells which in turn reduces dark spots and scars. With this remedy, blemishes and dark spots can be cleared in no time, leaving you with much clearer skin.
For this remedy:
- From a freshly plucked aloe leaf, extract the gel.
- Apply this directly onto the dark spots.
- Gently massage the areas for a few minutes.
- Twenty minutes later, rinse your face.
- Repeat this twice a day for best results.
You could also substitute aloe vera for Vitamin E or castor oil.
Must read: How to Get Rid of Scars on Face?
The impulse to turn to cosmetics to fade dark spots is quite difficult to fend off, but before you spend heaps of cash on cosmetics, look to your kitchen cabinet for quick fixes. Because something as simple as a potato can offer the much awaited respite you seek. It works exceptionally well because of the bleaching properties it possesses, fading out scars and blemishes in the process. Also, the starch present in potatoes reduce pigmentation, thereby promoting healthy skin.
One out of three methods to incorporate potatoes, pick the one that suits you:
- Slice up a potato.
- Place the slices directly in the black spots.
- Gently rub the surface of the skin with these slices.
- Wash away with lukewarm water after five minutes.
- Peel a medium sized potato and grate it.
- Add a teaspoon of honey to the grated potato.
- Apply this paste on the affected areas and leave it on for fifteen minutes.
- Rinse off with lukewarm water.
- Extract the juice of one medium sized potato.
- Add a pinch of turmeric to it.
- Add lemon juice to the mixture.
- Apply this on the affected areas.
- Allow it to dry and wash off with water.
Tomato juice can be used as a substitute for lemon juice.
Also read: How to Get Rid Of Scars on Legs?
Buttermilk is also quite effective to get rid of dark spots as it fades blemishes and dark spots without causing burning of any kind. The lactic acid present in buttermilk reduces skin pigmentation and brightens overall skin complexion.
For this remedy:
- To two teaspoons of fresh tomato juice, add four teaspoons of buttermilk.
- Apply the solution onto the affected areas.
- Allow it to stay for fifteen minutes, wash off soon after.
Must read: Home Remedies to Remove Keloids Scars
5. Sweet Almond Oil
Almonds are packed with linoleic and oleic acids along with Vitamins A, 2, D as well E. This is why almond oil is incorporated into a number of cosmetics, working to reduce dark spots and blemishes.
For this remedy:
- Dab some almond oil on the tips of your fingers and apply it all over the affected areas.
- Leave it on overnight and wash off the next morning.
Also read: How to Get Rid of Bruises Fast?
With these simple hacks, you can get rid of dark spots like a pro. Follow them up regularly and in no time, you’ll be looking at blemish-free, clear skin.