Keloids, or keloid scars are hard fibrous tissues that can appear anywhere on your body. Although the exact cause behind keloids is unknown, they do tend to develop almost abruptly for no reason.
One theory suggests that when our top skin layer is damaged, then during the healing process, collagen can sometimes collect at the area, resulting in the development of keloid scars. The scars may continue to grow for years through a slow process. Some of the most common conditions that cause the formation of keloids include insect bites, ear piercings, cuts, burns, etc.
How to Get Rid of Keloids or Keloid Scars?
If you are troubled by keloid scars, then here is a good news for you- you can learn how to remove keloids at home easily!
Here are some of the most amazing home remedies for keloid scars treatment:
Sandalwood is widely known for its skin-regeneration properties, thus can be used for diminishing not just keloid but other kinds of scars as well. Here is a simple method that you can follow:
- Take one tablespoon of sandalwood powder, and add either rose water or plain water to make a thick paste.
- Apply the paste on your scars at night before going to bed.
- Wash the paste off in the morning.
- Repeat the process for about a month or two, depending on the progress observed.
Also read: How to Get Rid of Scars on Face?
Not only is honey a powerful humectant, it is also one of the best natural moisturizers. It can be used to effectively treat keloids as it can prevent collagen growth and remove dead skin cells easily.
To use honey for keloids treatment, follow these steps:
- Evenly apply natural honey on the keloid scars.
- Massage the area gently for a few minutes.
- Leave it on for about 60 minutes, and then wash it off with warm water.
- Repeat the process twice a week, for at least a month.
Must read: How To Remove Scars From Legs?
If you want to know how to flatten keloid scars naturally, then onions can be of great help. This common vegetable has strong healing effects on all kinds of scars as it can control collagen growth, which is why many ointments and creams use onion essence.
Follow these steps for keloid treatment with onions:
- Take one large white onion and cut it in large pieces.
- Wrap the pieces in a cheesecloth and tie it up tightly.
- Place the cheesecloth in a bowl, and place another bowl on top of it to apply pressure so that the onion juice collects in the lower bowl.
- Using a cotton ball, apply the onion juice onto the scars.
- Leave it on for a few minutes and rinse with lukewarm water.
- Repeat it a few times daily for a few weeks, until desired results are achieved.
Also read: How To Get Rid Of Acne Scars Naturally?
4. Extra-virgin Olive Oil
Extra-virgin oil has high acidity level that helps in exfoliating the outer skin layer. It can be used to get rid of keloid scars on chest, nose, or any other parts of the body. It is also quite effective for getting rid of keloids from ear piercings.
Here are the steps for the olive oil treatment:
- Put a tablespoon of high quality extra-virgin olive oil in your palm and apply on the affected area gently in circular motion. Massage the area until the oil is completely absorbed by the skin. Repeat 2-3 times daily.
- You can also use extra-virgin olive oil as a scrub. For that, take equal parts oil and baking soda to make a paste. Apply the paste on the affected area and massage for a few minutes. Rinse and repeat a few more times.
Must read: Home Remedies for Athlete’s Foot
5. Lavender Essential Oil
Lavender essential oil has skin rejuvenating properties, thus can be used for treating keloid scars.
Here is the method for it:
Take a spoonful of lavender essential oil and apply on the affected area with the help of a cotton ball. Massage for a few minutes and repeat again after a few hours. Follow this treatment for at least a month for best results.
Also read: 12 Natural Remedies For Skin Tag Removal
6. Apple Cider Vinegar
Apple cider vinegar is one of the easiest home treatments for keloids. It is great for removing fatty deposits from your skin as well as rejuvenating it simultaneously. Add two parts apple cider vinegar and one part water in a cup.
- Using a cotton ball, apply the solution on the scars.
- Leave it on for about 30 minutes, and then rinse with lukewarm water.
- Repeat the process 2-3 times a day for a few weeks.
Must read: How to Get Rid of Scabies?
7. Lemon Juice
- Extract the juice of a lemon.
- Apply the juice on the affected area, and leave it on for about 60 minutes.
- Rinse with water, and pat the skin dry gently with a towel.
- Follow up with a mild moisturizer afterwards.
- Repeat the process twice a day for a month.
Also read: How To Get Rid Of Stretch Marks?
8. Aloe Vera
Aloe vera oil is used in variety of treatment products such as lotions, essential oils and creams, as it contains several healthy plant compounds. It also has antioxidant and antibacterial properties.
You can use a fresh aloe vera plant for treating your keloid scars the following way:
- Cut a fresh aloe vera leaf and extract its gel.
- Apply the gel on the affected area.
- Leave it on to allow it to be absorbed by the skin completely, or until it dries. Clean the area with water afterwards.
- Repeat twice a day for four weeks.
Must read: How to Get Rid of Moles On Skin?
Depending on the nature of the keloidal scars and their age, you can notice the results within 2-4 weeks with the help of the home treatments mentioned above. Should you not be satisfied with the results, please consult a doctor or dermatologist.