Home Remedies to Treat Mononucleosis: Mononucleosis, commonly known as mono or the kissing disease, is an extremely contagious infection caused by a virus from the herpes family, Epstein-Barr virus. This virus targets the epithelial cells and lymphocytes. Mono is also sometimes called Pfeiffer’s disease, glandular fever or Filatov’s disease. Although it is a benign condition, it can, in certain cases, cause an acute infection that impairs the immune system. Refer here to know more about the disorder.
Are you wondering how to treat mono at home? You are in luck because today, we list down 10 effective home remedies to treat mononucleosis.
10 Home Remedies to Treat Mononucleosis from Its Root
Here is a look at the best home remedies to treat mononucleosis:
1. Garlic Juice
Garlic has powerful antiviral and antibacterial properties which is why it is an effective treatment for infectious disease. Most of its health benefits comes from allicin, a beneficial compounds found in garlic. Garlic also has healing properties that make it excellent for treating mono.
- Grate 2 garlic cloves in a saucepan with 1 cup of water.
- Boil and allow it to simmer for 5 minutes.
- Strain it and add 1 teaspoon of common salt.
- Stir well and drink the solution.
- Do this 2 times a day to get rid of the symptoms of mono.
Related: 10 Kitchen Ingredients That You Can Use to Get Rid of Perioral Dermatitis
2. Coconut Oil
With its medium-chain fatty acids, coconut oil is an extremely effective antiviral agent, making it one of the best home remedies to treat treat mononucleosis and other conditions like hepatitis C, influenza, herpes, measles, and AIDS. The lauric acid and other medium-chain fatty acids that this oil contains are absorbed quickly by the body and used to form a monoester called monolaurin that has potent antibacterial and antiviral properties. Coconut oil also contains vitamins and other essential nutrients that boost immunity and improve overall health.
- Take a dose of extra-virgin coconut oil orally every day. Take 1 to 3 tablespoons a day, depending on your tolerance level, until the infection subsides.
- You can also use coconut oil in your daily cooking to prevent infections.
Related: Learn to Treat Adrenal Fatigue Naturally with These 10 Home Remedies
3. Apple Cider Vinegar
With its powerful antiviral and antibacterial properties, apple cider vinegar is a superb natural remedy for mono as it can inhibit the spread of the virus. It is one of the most popular ingredients in home remedies for skin conditions caused by viruses. If you are looking for an effective remedy for mono, you should try apple cider vinegar.
- Mix 1 tablespoon of apple cider vinegar and 2 teaspoons of honey to 1 glass of warm water. Stir well.
- Sip on this mixture slowly to prevent your saliva from being actively infectious.
- Follow this remedy 2 times a day to eliminate the symptoms of mono.
Related: 10 Home Remedies for Hashimoto’s Disease & Some Tips to Keep in Mind
4. Salt Water Gargle
One of the most common symptoms of mononucleosis is a sore throat. The best remedy for this is a salt water gargle. Warm salt water soothes the throat and relieves any discomfort you may be experiencing.
- Dissolve ½ teaspoon of salt in 1 glass of warm water.
- Gargle with the solution for a few seconds before spitting it out.
- Repeat this remedy ar regular intervals to relieve sore throats.
Related: 10 Different Home Remedies to Help You Get Rid of Paresthesia Naturally
5. Licorice Root
What makes licorice root an effective natural remedy for the kissing disease is its powerful antiviral properties. It inhibits the growth of the virus that causes mono. Licorice root contains an active compound known as triterpenoid which works as a natural stimulant for immunity. It protects your immune system when external intruders attempt to cause harm to the white blood cells.
- Boil a handful of dried licorice roots in 1 cup of water.
- Simmer for 15 minutes and then strain into a cup.
- Add 2 tablespoons of lemon juice and 1 tablespoon of honey and mix well.
- Drink the solution 2 times a day and you will be convinced that it is indeed one of the best home remedies to treat mononucleosis.
Related: How to Treat Trigger Finger; 10 Home Remedies for Fast Relief
A herb used in traditional Chinese medicine, astragalus helps in boosting immunity. Its immune-boosting and adaptogen properties of the herb help in quickly fighting the infection and providing relief from the uncomfortable symptoms of mono. Astragalus also helps in boosting the energy level of the body.
- Boil a handful of slice dried astragalus root in 1 quart of water.
- Let it simmer for 30 minutes and then strain into a cup.
- Drink the tea 2 times a day until you notice an improvement.
- You can also take astragalus supplements but ensure to consult your doctor first.
- Note: You should talk to your doctor before taking astragalus if you have an immune disorder.
Related: Arthritis; Its Causes, Symptoms and Treatments Available
7. Lemon Juice
Known for its richness in Vitamin C and flavonoids, lemon is one of the easiest home remedies to treat mononucleosis as it helps in relieving inflammation. It is also rich in antioxidants that helps in detoxing your body from free radicals and toxic enzymes. Pure lemon juice is an effective natural treatment for this condition as it inhibits symptoms like neck pain, bloody mucus, sore throat and may remove white spots on swollen tonsils as well.
- Extract the juice from 3 normal-sized lemons.
- Mix in 1 teaspoon of honey.
- Drink this solution 2 times a day to relieve pain and sore throat brought on by mono.
- You can also mix the juice in 1 glass of warm water.
- Add 10 drops of tea tree oil and 2 teaspoons of apple cider vinegar and stir well.
- Drink this mixture before you go to bed to alleviate irritation.
Related: 13 Sure-Fire Tips and Home Remedies for Eye Floaters
8. Oregano Oil
Oregano oil is another great natural remedy for mono. It has strong antiviral properties that inhibit the growth of viruses and prevent them from replicating. The oil has an active compound called carvacrol which can reduce the cell binding of viruses. Keep in mind that you should not use oregano oil as a remedy if you are pregnant or expecting to be pregnant in one month.
- Mix 1 tablespoon of oregano oil, 2 tablespoons of lemon juice and 1 teaspoon of apple cider vinegar in 1 glass of water. Stir well.
- Sip this drink slowly for a few minutes to treat the condition and gain relief.
Related: 8 Easy Home Remedies to Help Every Mom Deal with Postpartum Hives
Echinacea is a herb that can treat the symptoms of the kissing disease and promote recovery as well. It also helps in strengthening the defense system of the body so that it has the ability to fight different infections.
- Add 1 to 2 teaspoons of dried echinacea in 1 cup of hot water.
- Allow it to steep for 10 minutes and then strain.
- Drink 1 to 2 cups of this tea every day until your condition improves.
- Or, mix 1 teaspoon of echinacea tincture in 1 glass of water.
- Drink this solution 3 or 4 times a day until you feel better.
- You can also take echinacea supplements until your symptoms improve. However, you should consult your doctor before doing so.
- Note: If you suffer from autoimmune disorders, you should avoid echinacea. Also, keep in mind that it is not suitable for children.
Related: 6 Sure-Fire Home Remedies for Sleep Apnea to Help You Sleep Better
One of the common causes for the survival of persistent viruses such as those that cause mononucleosis is poor immune function. Probiotics are effective in treating infections and respiratory disease and preventing them from spreading. Being antifungal and antiviral, they support proper gut mechanism and aid in digestion.
- Mix 2 scoops of plain yogurt with live cultures with 1 tablespoon of honey.
- Eat this 2 times a day to relieve pain and soothe sore throat.
Related: Top 11 Natural Home Remedies for Kidney Pain Relief
As you can see, there are many effective home remedies to treat mononucleosis. They are safe and do not have side effects which is why they are best for treating this condition. These remedies work slowly but do wonders in relieving symptoms and getting rid of the disease.