How to stop wheezing quickly?: A high-pitched whistling sound called wheezing occurs when you breathe through obstructed or narrowed respiratory airways. You can hear this sound clearly when exhaling. If you suffer from wheezing for a prolonged period, it can worsen and have an adverse effect on your quality of life by keeping you from getting proper sleep, which in turn will make you feel tired and irritable. Hence, it is important that you attend to your wheezing problem as soon as possible. Home remedies can go a long way in treating this problem, but keep in mind that you should find the root cause and treat it accordingly, as there are many factors that cause wheezing. Without further ado, here are home remedies on how to stop wheezing quickly.
10 Home Remedies to Stop Wheezing Quickly
Here is a look at some of the best natural treatments to stop wheezing:
1. Steam Inhalation
Nothing works as fast as steam inhalation when it comes to wheezing problem. It unblocks obstructed airways by getting rid of mucus and phlegm. Steam inhalation therapy works most effectively when you infuse some essential oil with it.
- Boil some water in a small pan.
- Add a few drops of peppermint or eucalyptus essential oil.
- Fill a large bowl with the water and drape a towel over your head, making sure that steam cannot escape.
- Inhale the essential oil-infused steam through your nose and mouth for 10 to 15 minutes.
- Repeat as often as you need to gain relief.
- A hot shower works well too.
Related: 6 Sure-Fire Home Remedies for Sleep Apnea to Help You Sleep Better
2. Apple Cider Vinegar
Apple cider vinegar is a popular ingredient in home remedies for variety of conditions and ailments. It’s of no surprise to find this super ingredient topping our list of remedies to stop wheezing quickly too. For best results, we’d recommend you to use organic apple cider vinegar with the ‘mother’ in it. This tonic helps in flushing out toxins and balancing the pH level in your body, thereby ensuring that your body is in optimal working condition. Apple cider vinegar is also rich in nutrients that support the respiratory system.
- Mix 2 tablespoons of raw, unfiltered apple cider vinegar in 1 cup of warm water.
- Mix in 1 tablespoon of raw honey and stir well.
- Drink this tonic 2 times a day to unblock your airways and get rid of wheezing.
Related: Quiz : What Do Your Sleeping Habits Say About You?
3. Warm Fluids
Keeping your body hydrated at all times is extremely important. Drinking warm fluids not only hydrates your body but also helps in soothing stressed airways so that you can breathe without any complications. Warm fluids can also help in loosening up sticky, thick mucus in your throat and airways.
- If you are wondering on how to stop wheezing quickly, the best fix is to drink warm water mixed with a bit of lemon juice.
- It also helps to drink herbal teas like licorice root, chamomile or ginger tea.
- Hot soup is another excellent choice. But remember to avoid creamy soups and opt for broth-based ones.
- 2 to 3 cups of coffee a day can also help in treating wheezing.
Related: 7 Serious Sleep Deprivation Effects & Tips To Sleep Better [Infographic]
If you want to stop wheezing quickly, ginger is another great natural ingredient you should not miss trying. Its anti-inflammatory properties help inhibit contraction and eases inflammation in your airways. Ginger also effectively eases chest tightness as it works as a natural muscle relaxant. It also boosts immunity, which makes for an amazing bonus.
- Boil 1 tablespoon of sliced ginger in 1 cup of water.
- Cover and allow it to steep for 10 minutes.
- Strain the ginger tea and drink while it is still warm.
- Drink 3 to 4 cups of ginger tea a day until your wheezing reduces, or completely stops.
- Alternatively, mix equal amounts of ginger juice, pomegranate juice and honey.
- Consume 1 tablespoon of this mixture 3 to 4 times a day to relieve your wheezing.
Related: How to Get Rid of Caffeine Addiction with Home Remedies?; 10 Methods
Did you know that porridge can work wonders to help treat wheezing? It is a comfort food that offers many health benefits. So if you are still wondering how to stop wheezing quickly, porridge is one of the best ways to do it.
- Replace 1 or 2 portions of solid food with porridge.
- Continue doing this until you notice an improvement in your condition.
Related: How to Get Rid of Tension Headaches with Home Remedies? ; 10 Easy Methods
6. Warm Oil Massage
Mucus buildup in the airways can be broken down with any warm oil massage. This in turn will help in relieving wheezing. Use warm oil to massage your nostrils to improve breathing and give you comfort instantly. You can use olive, mustard, sesame or coconut oil – just make sure that it is warm.
- Massage your nostrils and chest with the warm oil for 10 to 15 minutes.
- Repeat 2 to 3 times daily to prevent the recurrence of symptoms.
Related: 8 Home Remedies for Snoring to Help You Snooze Better
As odd as it may sound, you may actually use the super herb, turmeric to stop wheezing quickly. It has anti-inflammatory and antioxidant properties that help in clearing blockages in nasal passages and soothing inflammation and irritation.
- Boil 1/2 teaspoon of turmeric powder with 1 glass of warm water.
- Drink this 1 or 2 times a day for best results.
- Or, mix 1 teaspoon of turmeric powder and 2 teaspoons of raw, organic honey. Consume this mixture once or twice a day.
- You can also mix 1/4 teaspoons each of turmeric powder, black pepper powder and grated ginger in 1 cup of water.
- Bring to a boil and let it cool, and then strain.
- Drink this mixture 1 or 2 times a day until your condition improves.
Related: Learn to Treat Adrenal Fatigue Naturally with These 10 Home Remedies
8. Eucalyptus Oil
Eucalyptus oil is effective in opening up air passages that are blocked, thus provide relief from wheezing instantly. Loaded with antibacterial, anti-inflammatory and decongestant properties, it works to benefit the respiratory system. It also reduces stress and promotes relaxation which further helps in easing symptoms.
- Add a few drops of eucalyptus oil in a pot or bowl of boiling hot water.
- Inhale the steam for 10 minutes to instantly get relief.
- Put a few drops of the oil on a paper towel and place it on your pillow before you sleep. This will help you breathe better while you are sleeping.
- You can also mix a small amount of this oil with a massage oil and rub it on your chest.
- Place a towel dampened with warm water over your chest for 10 to 15 minutes.
- Do this twice a day to effectively and quickly treat wheezing.
Related: 10 Effective Home Remedies to Treat Mononucleosis from Its Root
Garlic has medicinal properties that make it an amazing natural remedy for various ailments, including wheezing. It is found to be effective for treating coughing and asthma as well. It helps in neutralizing free radicals and reducing contraction of the airways so that you can breathe properly. Garlic also reduces the release of histamines in the body, which in turn keeps asthma attacks at bay.
- Eat 1 clove of garlic with 1 teaspoon of honey 2 times a day until you get rid of wheezing.
- Boil 3 to 4 cloves of garlic in 1 cup of milk or water.
- Let it cool and then drink it.
- Drink this mixture 2 to 3 times a day until you stop wheezing.
- Garlic supplements are another great option, but you should consult your doctor before taking them.
Related: Top 7 Home Remedies for Opiate Withdrawal Symptoms
10. Spicy Foods
Good news for you wheezers who love spicy food! Spicy foods are excellent to stop wheezing quickly. They can cut through the congestion in your throat and airways and stop the problem almost instantly. Spicy red chilli powder and cayenne peppers are the best in this case. Cayenne pepper helps the body in regulating more fluids and clearing any blockages, which in turn helps improve breathing.
- Make cayenne pepper and red chilli powder a part of your diet.
- Continue until your wheezing goes away completely.
Related: 10 Home Remedies for Hashimoto’s Disease & Some Tips to Keep in Mind
As you can see, wheezing can be effectively and quickly treated with simple home remedies. What is great about using natural treatments is that you are likely to have the ingredients needed in your home. They are completely safe, so you need not have to worry about side effects. So if you want to stop wheezing quickly, opt for home remedies instead of chemical-filled medications. Should the wheezing still last after 5 days of home treatment, seek a medical assistance.